Can a cushion be used as a booster seat.

I would sugest that would be a most deffinate no!!!

A cushion would allow what is termed 'submarining' where, in a collision, the cushion with the child on it, would slide under the lap-strap part of the seat belt and could easily cause an effective 'hanging' of the child by the cross strap.

Booster cushions have protruding 'horns' at their rear corners that prevent that happening.

There are booster seats (which are for smaller children and have a back) and there are booster cushions for older children.

The law is very strong now and you must have the right size and type of booster for the size/age of child.

"The law requires all children travelling in cars to use the correct child restraint until they are either 135 cm in height or the age of 12 (which ever they reach first) . After this they must use an adult seat belt"

see

http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/types/index.htm

and

http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/law/index.htm

No!

Buy a proper one. You can pick them up for £9.99.

http://www.mothercare.com/Commuter-booster-seat-Protec-Grey/dp/B000ILDYUO/sr=1-1/qid=1276165799/ref=sr_1_1/275-8804726-1820134?_encoding=UTF8&m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&n=42770041&mcb=core

A cushion will deform and there will be danger of the child sliding under the seat in the event of a crash. Also it will not seat the child high enough.

Could anyone explain the obsession with 'cheap' when you are looking at the safety and security of the most precious thing you will ever have the privilage of possesing..,,..your child.

All child seats have to conform to a standard and a booster seat is just a lump of molded plastic with a cover on top.

They are all shaped in a similar way, its just the look/design that differs.

All child seats have to conform to a standard and a booster seat is just a lump of molder plastic with a cover on top.

They are all shaped in a similar way, its just the look/design that differs.

I agree that all seats have to conform to a minimum standard but with the given exception of paying through the nose for a 'name' I would sugest that as with most things in life you get what you pay for.

Could anyone explain the obsession with 'cheap' when you are looking at the safety and security of the most precious thing you will ever have the privilage of possesing..,,..your child.

Funnily enough there was no such thing as booster seats when i was a child... and everyone seemed to grow up perfectly fine. In fact most people didn't even wear seatbelts.

Funnily enough there was no such thing as booster seats when i was a child... and everyone seemed to grow up perfectly fine. In fact most people didn't even wear seatbelts.

Nor were ther so many cars on the road being driven by so many people in a hurry!!!

Archived