Ed Balls what a strange name..

I had a friend whose last name was B*stard. His mother wanted to christen him 'Hugh' and couldn't understand why the rest of the family didn't think that was a good idea.

In many cases, immigrants to the US could've been better advised. I knew a young lady whose surname was 'Pfucht'. - there were one or two 'imaginative' pronunciations. Another guy I knew had ancestors who probably came from around here and were named after one of the local mountains. Had the one who immigrated changed the first letter of his name from a 'W' to a 'V' then it would've been pronounced the same way as it had been at home.

From the book 'Potty, Fartwell & Knob' we have: Golden Balls - Baptised Aylsham, Norfolk, 26 September 1813. His son was also called Golden Balls.

The book also has a section on the best Spoonerism names including: Joe Blobs, Fanny Cucker, Mary Hinge, Carrie Hunt, Betty Swall etc.

Also when naming a child you need to take into consideration the effect the initials will have on the name, here are some more examples from 'Potty, Fartwell & Knob' - T.Cosy, B.Astard, D.Og, T,Time, B.Troot, R.Sitch, P.Freely, S.Trumpet, I.D.Card.

Another minefield to consider; usually for women, is your future spouse's name. For instance if you're called Sarah would you marry and take the name of someone with the surname Lapper?

Archived