To the person who sold a Vauxhall Vectra estate start of May 2010

It was DVLA who said that the current registered keeper (which is not me yet) is the one responsible for the veichle and also for notifying DVLA of change of ownership, so if anything happens to the vehicle or any fines/tickes issued its him who will recive them. Also DVLA said they can fine him for failing to declare these changes.

That's all correct. However, imagine this:

DVLA van comes down the road and clamps your car. The old registered keeper doesn't care, not his car any more.

Next day DVLA come back and tow your car away, and write to the old registered keeper. He doesn't care, not his car any more.

Some time later the DVLA crush the car. They can go after the old keeper for the fines etc, but you still have no car.

It would be easier to pay the £25, especially if the tax has already run out and the car is on a public road (and although the DVLA will go after the keeper, if you drive it and get caught by the Police, it'll be you in hot water).

I have 2 other cars.

I have paid the £25 and sent off for a new log book. I knew to do that anyway just wanted to save hassle for the previous keeper thats all - all i wanted to do was the right thing and stop any mix ups while I waited for it to come through thats all. I guess when you try to help other people somestimes its a waste of time, and maybe im too nice a person as well.

Archived