Fed up with young idiots

How do they get insurance? my 1.6 engine car, the insurance has gone up with a real hike.

I'd love a Sporty GT, however couldn't afford the insurance, how do the 18 year olds afford this?

Maybe the ones with nice cars earn more than you, or are prepared to spend a bigger proportion of their income on insurance.

Just a thought.

My lad has been driving for 2 years, clean licence, no accidents etc.

He's in the process of renewing his insurance and has found that he cannot find a company who will give him third party extention, that is the cover to drive another vehicle not owned by you.

It was always on his old cover and he occasionally drove his old mini that he had for the first 18 months of driving. When he got his Alfa we transfered ownership of the Mini to me and I put 'classic' insurance on it.

The reason given for them not doing it anymore is that young drivers will insure themselves for a Fiesta or Cleo etc then drive round in dad's BMW.

Surely it'd be cheaper to add him to the mini insurance than do it via third party extension, if, as you suggest, it's a car that isn't worth much?

Surely it'd be cheaper to add him to the mini insurance than do it via third party extension, if, as you suggest, it's a car that isn't worth much?

I didn't say it wasn't worth much.

I can get classic insurance on the Mini for £107 per year. With his 3rd party extention that meant he could drive it under his existing insurance (already costing £1,700 per year).

If his name was on the Mini insurance, either as owner or as a named driver with the same company, the cost would be £780. That is because he, as a young driver, is the greater risk.

I didn't say it wasn't worth much.

No, you implied it by suggesting that the reason insurers don't offer 3rd party extensions to the young is because they use them to drive expensive / high risk vehicles. If the car your son wants to use 3rd party extensions to drive is expensive / high risk then he is exactly the sort of person you were just complaining about.

I can get classic insurance on the Mini for £107 per year. With his 3rd party extention that meant he could drive it under his insurance (already costing £1,700 per year).

The £1700 is for the risks associated with his first car. Another car adds more risk. That sounds cheap for any Alfa, to be honest - I was quoted over £2k before no claims discount for a 156 that was garaged when I was 29.

To be honest the intrinsic value of a car does not really come into the equasion much, you can do just as much damage with a £200 90's fiesta as you can with a new Rolls Royce and that is what the third party insurance covers. And, on third party cover the vehicle itself is not covered anyway.

Also of course, with the exception of 'agreed value' classic car insurance, although you are asked for a 'value' when you take out insurance it will probably bear no relevence to what you get in the event of an accident nor would quoting £1000 make the premium any cheaper than quoting £3000 for the same vehicle.

Archived