Whats the buzzer for found in my car lights?

I had to sort out a bulb the other day in the car. I pulled off the rear light and a small box came off with it that looks 3rd party attached but somehow fixes to the lights. It's a small plastic box with a copper speaker in it.

After i moved it to change the bulb the thing now beeps like a mobility scooter when i put the indicators on to either turn or open the doors.

Has anyone any idea what it is ? I can't hear it in the car, only when outside.

its not wrongly connected is it ? and should be on your reversing light as an audio warning

No cos my cars reverse lights are not with the main rear lights, fog & reverse are either side of the number plate.

It does beep when Only the left indicator is on, either on it's own to turn or lucking/unlocking the car or when the hazards are applied.

The wiring looks crude enough not to be factory fitted , could my car have once been a mobility car and it summat for that ?

Hi, does your car have a Towbar? A buzzer is fitted in Towbar wiring so you know you're trailer indicater is working. Kev

Yeah a factory fitted thing that you push in on a solid round bar.

So is that what it's for, should it be beeping even when no tow device fitted ?

As Kev says, it should not sound unless towing.

When towing it sounds as you indicate. If it doesn't make a sound when indicating and towing, that is the warning that a bulb has gone on the trailers indicators.

I guess it's shorting to earth after you disturbed it.

Eric, in your first post you stated that you could not hear it when you are in the car, only outside.

I would concur that the buzzer is most likely to be a trailer lights integrity warning device but I would suggest that it is not of any use if you can't hear it whilst driving. The whole idea of it is to let you know that your indicaters are working properly when you use them.

It could do with being repositioned somewhere else, inside the car, once you get it working, it should work with both indicators not just the left one.

Archived