Look at my photos of Hyde Park Flats!

pete_fcs

Nice photos! Can never work out why they pulled down Hyde Park and not Park Hill. I appreciate that Park Hill is now listed but were the Hyde Park flats so much worse than Park Hill that they had to be pulled down.

When my daughter came to Hallam they put her in the re-furbished block for her first year. The public areas were done out very well. There were cameras pointing every way and cameras pointing at cameras. I remember going to fetch her one day and I hadn't got up to her flat before the car alarm was going off and some little **it had broken my window and nicked the front off the radio.

Nice photos! Can never work out why they pulled down Hyde Park and not Park Hill. I appreciate that Park Hill is now listed but were the Hyde Park flats so much worse than Park Hill that they had to be pulled down.

When my daughter came to Hallam they put her in the re-furbished block for her first year. The public areas were done out very well. There were cameras pointing every way and cameras pointing at cameras. I remember going to fetch her one day and I hadn't got up to her flat before the car alarm was going off and some little **it had broken my window and nicked the front off the radio.

i agree, hyde park was much more impressive (and bigger) than park hill; i lived in both....park hill was crap!

i also lived in the refurbished castle court with all the cameras....felt like living in a shopping mall, or a bank; very impersonal but luxurious none the less!

• 4 weeks later...

When I left England for Canada in 1965, I went to see my mother in Hyde Park flats. She was 64 years old, and very heavy. Imagine my surprise when I found out her flat was 13 or so steps down from the front door! She complained that she never got any visitors, because, when the door bell rang, it would take her so long to climb the stairs to the front door that she didn't bother after a while!

Her 'front room' was just big enough for a sofa, literally feet from the front window, which, BTW, looked out onto some grass next to another block of flats. Probably one of the most miserable places to live, even though it was brand new. The large lift at the end of the walkway was ,even then, a rubish tip. I am not surprised it was torn down, my mother moved to the top of St Phillips road, to a ground floor flat, that actually had a view from the front window, or so my mother told me.

The living rooms were not at all bad, unless it was one of the bedsit flats your mother was in. they could be "poky".

Generally the flats were well laid out. My kitchen and both bedrooms, in my first flat(maisonette) were very generous in size, and the view from my living room was for absolutely miles, I could see all along the parkway to rotherham, and all the greenery of the moors beyond. we overlooked what was the dog-track, (which became a playground), and the church-school, St John's.

My second flat, which was a 2-bed flat, rather than a maisonette, had one generous bedroom, and one small-ish one, but the living room and kitchen were exactly the same size as the first property. (they had to be the same size, as the living rooms and Kitchens were all in a column, one on top of the other.)

My living room was at least as big as my current living room, (At least 5 yards by 4) if not bigger. The windows in the living rooms were very nice, they let a lot of light in. They were at least five feet high (maybe 6) and 7 feet long.

the view from that flat was of the fields going up to Sky edge, and the quarry.

quite pleasant.

PT

When I left England for Canada in 1965, I went to see my mother in Hyde Park flats. She was 64 years old, and very heavy. Imagine my surprise when I found out her flat was 13 or so steps down from the front door! She complained that she never got any visitors, because, when the door bell rang, it would take her so long to climb the stairs to the front door that she didn't bother after a while!

Her 'front room' was just big enough for a sofa, literally feet from the front window, which, BTW, looked out onto some grass next to another block of flats. Probably one of the most miserable places to live, even though it was brand new. The large lift at the end of the walkway was ,even then, a rubish tip. I am not surprised it was torn down, my mother moved to the top of St Phillips road, to a ground floor flat, that actually had a view from the front window, or so my mother told me.

i also had steps down inside three of the four flats i had on hyde park, kelvin and park hill.

i heard a few stories like this, about people not being able to answer the door in time!

for young 'uns it was great; those stairs off the landing all added to the feeling that you were retreating into your own little underground (high rise) world!

pete

The living rooms were not at all bad, unless it was one of the bedsit flats your mother was in. they could be "poky".

Generally the flats were well laid out. My kitchen and both bedrooms, in my first flat(maisonette) were very generous in size, and the view from my living room was for absolutely miles, I could see all along the parkway to rotherham, and all the greenery of the moors beyond. we overlooked what was the dog-track, (which became a playground), and the church-school, St John's.

My second flat, which was a 2-bed flat, rather than a maisonette, had one generous bedroom, and one small-ish one, but the living room and kitchen were exactly the same size as the first property. (they had to be the same size, as the living rooms and Kitchens were all in a column, one on top of the other.)

My living room was at least as big as my current living room, (At least 5 yards by 4) if not bigger. The windows in the living rooms were very nice, they let a lot of light in. They were at least five feet high (maybe 6) and 7 feet long.

the view from that flat was of the fields going up to Sky edge, and the quarry.

quite pleasant.

PT

this is partly why you hear conflicting stories about hyde park.

if you had a pokey bedsit it was crap. even worse if you were on the ground floor with no view.

but those flats facing the dog track, and near the hyde park terrace end of the flats, and high up, were incredible. nothing like it has ever been built in sheffield since. not even those new yuppie high rise in their crap locations by the river don could come within a mile (high) of those views.

and i agree about the room sizes: so long as you had a 2 or 3 bedroom flat or maisonette, you got a 12' square room, or even bigger if you had a flat on the end: these had 24' balconies and four rooms each 12' square or bigger.

pete

if you had a pokey bedsit it was crap. even worse if you were on the ground floor with no view.

but those flats facing the dog track, and near the hyde park terrace end of the flats, and high up, were incredible. nothing like it has ever been built in sheffield since. not even those new yuppie high rise in their crap locations by the river don could come within a mile (high) of those views.

and i agree about the room sizes: so long as you had a 2 or 3 bedroom flat or maisonette, you got a 12' square room, or even bigger if you had a flat on the end: these had 24' balconies and four rooms each 12' square or bigger.

pete

the end-flats with their 24' balconies were ace! internally, the rooms all opened off each other so if you were a kid, you could run round and round inside the property. great fun.

PT

the end-flats with their 24' balconies were ace! internally, the rooms all opened off each other so if you were a kid, you could run round and round inside the property. great fun.

PT

i had one of these end flats: my lad used to cyle around the whole flat in a circuit!

• 2 years later...

pete

i must say they were the best place to live first lived on 123roland row the one below the crepy one on top i had nightmeras what was it called ?we had two bedroom so small then we moved to 9 cricket inn gardens

that had 4 bedrooms a big living room big kichen two tolets and a big out side facing the dog track i wll allways remember the dog **** all over the landing on some rows and the pack of dogs that use to rowm and one dog that use to run mad he was called niger a black labradoor whos dog was that and in those days we were one of the few black familys on the flats

n

Archived