Let's scrap overseas aid - it costs £7 billion a year!

If you believe the media we're in the middle of a financial crisis and will have to cut millions of public spending. Yet incredibly we still have money to give away to charity in the form of overseas aid.

You might think it's just a token gesture but it's actually a massive amount. The government gives away an amazing £7.3 billion of taxpayers money in the form of overseas aid, and most of that goes into the pockets of corrupt third world government officials.

I would like to see all overseas aid stopped and the money used to fund deserving causes in this country such as the NHS. Better still, give it back to tax payers in the form of tax cuts. It is our money after all, we should decide what charities to give to.

If you believe the media we're in the middle of a financial crisis and will have to cut millions of public spending. Yet incredibly we still have money to give away to charity in the form of overseas aid.

You might think it's just a token gesture but it's actually a massive amount. The government gives away an amazing £7.3 billion of taxpayers money in the form of overseas aid, and most of that goes into the pockets of corrupt third world government officials.

I would like to see all overseas aid stopped and the money used to fund deserving causes in this country such as the NHS. Better still, give it back to tax payers in the form of tax cuts. It is our money after all, we should decide what charities to give to.

Yes indeed! Don't we have spectacles to buy for blind dogs and maintain the upkeep of Des O Connor. Lets not waste it on these third world thingummies. They were a **** band anyway.

Whilst I find it difficult that we should give aid to India whilst they have their own space programme and take our service industry away from the UK e.g. call centres etc, politics is just one big game of international chess. Stopping foreign aid will poo poo our world standing and would damage trade. Since we consume more than we can manufacture or export (We have very little industry left) it pays to try and keep people on your side.

While I also dislike giving money to countries such as India who have Nuclear weapons, we have an obligation to many countries (many of whom are in the commonwealth and were part of our empire) which we used to gain our material wealth we enjoy today. There is no way we'd be as rich as we are today if we didn't have Indian soldiers fighting for us, using their raw materials.

We also have a responsibility to countries such as Palestine as we pretty much managed to create the mess in the Middle East through land division and selling both sides arms. We can't have it both ways. If we must meddle with other countries, we have to live with the repercussions.

Do you really think that it is overseas aid as it's claimed to be, or would it actually be more accurate to call it "deal sweeteners" that is used as dictated by immediate political requirements. I remember a few times we provided a country with overseas aid, they purchased a lot of equipment from the UK.

I think the more pertinent question would be - are these really overseas aid programs? Or are they job protection protection programs for industry back here in the UK?

Do you really think that it is overseas aid as it's claimed to be, or would it actually be more accurate to call it "deal sweeteners" that is used as dictated by immediate political requirements. I remember a few times we provided a country with overseas aid, they purchased a lot of equipment from the UK.

I think the more pertinent question would be - are these really overseas aid programs? Or are they job protection protection programs for industry back here in the UK?

You got it in one :)

GB sir i salute you! you dont half talk some drivel on these forums but thats the most sensible post I have ever seen from you! WELL SAID!:thumbsup:

Archived