Are there ANY decent chip shops in the city centre?

Stebbil

Brendas is great!

Brenda's is as good as any fish and chips I've had in Whitby. They also run the chippy in Woodseats. The batter is always melt-in-the-mouth crispy, the chips chunky, hot and crispy, the fish fresh and the staff really friendly.

If your chippy benchmark is Brenda's / Whitby as mine is, there's a good discussion about Whitby fish and chips here for anyone interested...

http://www.whitbyonline.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=462

Also if you see a traditional chip shop been taken on by a non english person you can guarantee the fish will triple in size taste of nothing and the chips will be fat, fluffy and awful!!

That last comment is not true. I used to live round the corner of a Chinese ran fish and chip shop and the fish and chips were always excellent. I also used to go one ran by a Pakistani family and their's was excellent too.

I agree what was once one of the best chippies in Sheffield, the Broomhill Friery, was for years run by Asians, as is the Ranmoor Friery.

The chippy in Greystones is run by Chinese folks and the fish is tiny, but the quality of the food exceptional. One of my faves is the one at Malin Bridge, run by really nice English folks!

as someone who worked in a chippy through my teens I would just like to leave a bit of chip info. If the chips/batter have black specks on the oil is dirty and needs changing. In short it mings and they should not serve them like that!

PS-I also vote two steps.

It's not really in the centre, but it's worth the trip 10 minutes up Barber Road to New Cod on the Block. Despite its appallingly cheesy name, they serve some very good stuff. Also The Admiral, but that's further still.

Devonshire chippy. Cheap as chips and tastes great.

its never cheap when i go lol......

i get

fish and chips

large sausage (no batter)

fishcake

roe

a rissle or or 2

onion rings

and what ever else i see that takes my fancy.

peas

curry sauce

gravy

i have to have 3 or 4 trays, all up my from my hand to my elbow.....trouble is, if i have it in mid winter, by the time i get to near the end its stone cold...

Archived