Teaching the importance of Oil in Schools?

Is it time that Schools began to do an indepth teaching programme about the importance of Oil in our society so that kids realise how Oil drives the economy, makes modern farming possible, keeps the lights on, allows for medicines to be made, fuels wars, essential to make your basic household and beauty products etc. etc. etc. Rather than them just thinking it provides fuel for cars, or is it only fair to let them live in a dream world?

Completely agree, though some of it is already taught to some extent across subject like Chemistry, Economics and History. I do find it funny when people say "we only went to war for oil". ONLY? It's a big only even if it were true, our entire civilisation is built on petro-chemical technology.

I think it's a brilliant idea but at the moment it would be considered too politically unsound to teach this subject in schools. If a study of the history of oil dependancy were to be included in the curriculum it would probably have to cover topics such as:

1) Peak oil- The government is over a barrel (of oil, so to speak) as it cannot formally recognise peak oil theory as a possibility. If it did it could well lead to speculators and stock holders either withdrawing from or manipulating the market and as our economy is largely based upon oil this could be catastrophic. We're currently teetering on a knife edge and all oil producing/ dependant nations are trying to maintain the status quo for as long as possible.

2) It may become apparent to the population that we invaded Afghanistan just prior to WWII to prevent Hitler from accessing the oil fields. This is what prevented the axis powers from winning the war. It may also have been what caused the war.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5267640865741878159#

3) It may also become apparent that several months before our 'liberation' of Iraq Saddam began trading his oil in euros rather than dollars. A situation the Americans could not put up with for very long.

http://www.energybulletin.net/node/7707

With all these political hot potatoes in the mix I think they'd find it difficult to put it on the curriculum.

What has happened recently is that the UK Parliamentary Group for World Governance has successfully changed the way that history is taught in some schools, so that now British history has been replaced by a more global history of events.

http://www.oneworldtrust.org/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=195&tmpl=component&format=raw&Itemid=55

No, it's already covered by the basic science syllabus.

they don't cover it enough though it's very, very basic. You ask most kids who are leaving School and besides filling up cars with petrol/gas they don't realise what Oil is used for.

I have to agree with Cavegirl, she seems pretty clued up on this one.

Is it time that Schools began to do an indepth teaching programme about the importance of Oil in our society so that kids realise how Oil drives the economy, makes modern farming possible, keeps the lights on, allows for medicines to be made, fuels wars, essential to make your basic household and beauty products etc. etc. etc. Rather than them just thinking it provides fuel for cars, or is it only fair to let them live in a dream world?

I'm sure that once the government starts letting businesses run schools then the teachers at Shell BP Texaco Academy will be happy to provide lessons.

I did start a thread on Peak Oil theory on SF a few months ago Cliff. It didn't get much response but if you think you can add any new/ more recent info to it I for one would look forward to reading it.

As Peak Oil becomes more mainstream it could become a valuable resource to anyone new to the idea.

Its far more useful to have 'indepth teaching' on the alternatives. .

Why look back when you can look forwards?

Its far more useful to have 'indepth teaching' on the alternatives. .

Why look back when you can look forwards?

"Peak oil" is a myth anyway.

The amount of oil available is mind boggling.

The problem is getting at it economically and/or safely.

The disaster in the Gulf of Mexico illustrates the safety problem but if that oil from the spill had been captured before the accident it would have been on stream now.

That well is only one of many there and that's only one location in the world.

Archived