Dentist checkups - what should be included?

Should a scrape and polish be included in a general checkup? i just paid for a check up where nothing reallyh was done and i was told the scrape and polish would be done next time. but i wont be going in for treatment any time soon cos i can't afford it. bit annoyed that i just paid to have nothing done.

It depends if you need one or not, some people are lucky enough not to have to. If you call them and ask them to put the treatment off but to book an appointment for a scale and polish, then you wont have to pay. Hope this helps.

nah, i've had it done for free until now cos i am a full time student. that ran out this week so i'm paying for treatment again. in that limbo period of finished uni but not started my job yet. i dont think there's any category i fit into to get support for anything!

NHS Dentist Charges Structure

•£16.50 - This charge includes an examination, diagnosis and preventive care. If necessary, this includes X-rays, scale and polish, and planning for further treatment. Urgent and out-of-hours care also costs £16.50.

•£45.60 - This charge includes all necessary treatment covered by the £16.50 charge PLUS additional treatment such as fillings, root canal treatment or extractions.

•£198 -This charge includes all necessary treatment covered by the £16.50 and £45.60 charges PLUS more complex procedures such as crowns, dentures or bridges

Read more: Dentist Prices - NHS Dental Treatment Charges

http://www.whatprice.co.uk

nah, i've had it done for free until now cos i am a full time student. that ran out this week so i'm paying for treatment again. in that limbo period of finished uni but not started my job yet. i dont think there's any category i fit into to get support for anything!

if your on JSA or Income support, you get it free. Do you have a HC2 certificate? Either way, if you have paid £16.50 for Band one treatment, the scale and polish will be included. Even if you dont have it done at the same appointment as your examination.

And I know this because I'm a dental nurse and I do this all day everyday!

Archived