VC holders grave left to smack rats

should sheffield VC grave be left to vandels and smack rats?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. should sheffield VC grave be left to vandels and smack rats?

No just Sheffield has the most non-conformist people in the UK. It's not know in other areas of the country as "the federal republic of south yorkshire" for nothing you know!

Always thought there was something positively unique abaht Sheff. :hihi:

When ma passed away some years ago i went over to England for the funeral.

She wanted to be cremated so we went to the crematorium and the adjoining chapel for the burial service.

The cemetery next to it was in a horrible state and I remember saying to someone "No wonder more and more people in England want to be cremated. Who'd want to be buried in a dump like this?'

Too bad city councils are responsible for their maintenance. It's a given that they more often than not cant do the job.

In my part of the world cemeteries are owned and maintained by private companies. The Forest Lawn Corporation is one of them. The grass is cut regularly and each one has a mausoleum attached for those who want burial indoors. The headstones are all laid flat in the ground and trees and flowerbeds line the avenues between the graves.

Walking around one of these cemeteries is like being in a very nice park.

I occasionally take a walk through our local cemetery just for the pleasant surroundings and the peace and quiet

She wanted to be cremated so we went to the crematorium and the adjoining chapel for the burial service.

The cemetery next to it was in a horrible state and I remember saying to someone "No wonder more and more people in England want to be cremated. Who'd want to be buried in a dump like this?'

Too bad city councils are responsible for their maintenance. It's a given that they more often than not cant do the job.

In my part of the world cemeteries are owned and maintained by private companies. The Forest Lawn Corporation is one of them. The grass is cut regularly and each one has a mausoleum attached for those who want burial indoors. The headstones are all laid flat in the ground and trees and flowerbeds line the avenues between the graves.

I occasionally take a walk through our local cemetery just for the pleasant surroundings and the peace and quiet

In many places, like Latin America for example, the remains of our loved-ones would only be buried for 10, or 15 years, max. They'd then be disinterred, and stored in a vault, in an Ossuary.

It sounds idillic. A respectful place where people can grieve & pay their respects...... Unlike resting places in Sheffield which are such a <Removed>

In many places, like Latin America for example, the remains of our loved-ones would only be buried for 10, or 15 years, max. They'd then be disinterred, and stored in a vault, in an Ossuary.

That's also done in some places in Austria

It sounds idillic. A respectful place where people can grieve & pay their respects...... Unlike resting places in Sheffield which are such a <Removed>

As I said in the other post it's too bad that city councils are responsible for maintaining cemeteries.

I have done a little bit of research and found out that Wardsend Cemetery belongs to The Church of England.

Maybe you should approach the CoE and ask for help from them.

From the City Council website page on Parkwood Springs, under Facilities and Features

"The historic Wardsend Cemetery, owned by the Church of England."

See

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/out--about/parks-woodlands--countryside/parks/a-z-city-district--local--parks/parkwood-springs

Archived