VC holders grave left to smack rats

should sheffield VC grave be left to vandels and smack rats?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. should sheffield VC grave be left to vandels and smack rats?

All,

Apologies for my rather 'ratty' last comment- since following this up I have been made aware of frustrations about this issue. It appears that no one is aware who is responsible for Wardsend- the Council look like taking it over. I don't think in these circumstances there is any possiblity of an exhumation and where would you put Lambert's remains? Having been up to Wardsend -its always going to be a vunerable site. It appears that his headstone was repaired/relaid fairly recently.

Regards

WB

however the graveyard in my opinion is beyond help.

A graveyard that is no longer being used for burials.

Everything? A touch of hyperbole there I think.........

The graveyard in question was in a pretty dire condition (and was unused) when I was young (30 years ago), so it's not exactly a new phenomenon.

There really is no talking to you is there? Why are you so ill-mannered to people who try to engage you in any form of debate? Is it because you do not like people questioning you or because you are finding it difficult to answer simple questions?

Either way I think you are in it way above your head here and are not going to win anybody over with your present attitude. I get the feeling you are enjoying being outraged.

That's how I read it too, though my comments seem to have disappeared.

while im sure your having fun. your comments are of no interest.

Interesting enough for you to pass comment on though, so hardly of no interest.

The fact a poll was put up is a "fun" indicator where the OP's mind is.

One of the things that realy riled me, was his/her comments that the final entry in the poll was "put there to trap scum" - as the OP rather crudely put it.

Voted yes in protest at stupid question.

well im sure you feel better for that, always good to support your friends/familly and others like you. ill support those of my kind, the kind that give service contribute to this nation and city. not just take/use and of course abuse. while all the time demanding there rights!

well im sure you feel better for that, always good to support your friends/familly and others like you. ill support those of my kind, the kind that give service contribute to this nation and city. not just take/use and of course abuse. while all the time demanding there rights!

Ivan, please tell me what you do to contribute more to this nation and city than anybody else.

i wonder if his familly moved to america?

so far £10000 would cover moving his grave new headstone etc

not a fantastic ammount

The local historian in Lt lamberts Village is away at the moment so when he returns I will ask if Lt Lambert still has family in and around Markethill. You can find Lt Lamberts story in the book "LEST WE FORGET" by DOUGLAS LAMB you should be able to get it at Sheffield Scene or Waterstones. Its brief history of Monuments and Gravestones in and around Sheffield.

The local historian in Lt lamberts Village is away at the moment so when he returns I will ask if Lt Lambert still has family in and around Markethill. You can find Lt Lamberts story in the book "LEST WE FORGET" by DOUGLAS LAMB you should be able to get it at Sheffield Scene or Waterstones. Its brief history of Monuments and Gravestones inand around Sheffield.

many thanks, ill go get that today.

A graveyard that is no longer being used for burials.

The graveyard in question was in a pretty dire condition (and was unused) when I was young (30 years ago), so it's not exactly a new phenomenon.

That's how I read it too, though my comments seem to have disappeared.

Interesting enough for you to pass comment on though, so hardly of no interest.

One of the things that realy riled me, was his/her comments that the final entry in the poll was "put there to trap scum" - as the OP rather crudely put it.

you have alot to say for a person who votes that they do not care, i think this is just sport for you. trot on

I've also taken a look. It's a moot point, but there are certainly other VC graves which could claim the title of worst in the UK.

John Cunningham VC, buried in Bridlington Priory churchyard, doesn't even have a headstone.

James Thompson VC, buried in Walsall Cemetary, lies in an unmarked grave.

Joel Holmes VC, buried in All Soul's Cemetary, Halifax now lies in an overgrown wilderness of bushes.

At least the grave of George Lambert VC lies in what appears a tranquil spot beneath some trees. I rather like the thought that nature has taken over this old graveyard. Not all final resting places need to have manicured lawns.

Link here: http://www.victoriacross.org.uk/yorkshir.htm#South

have you been to his grave? lets say your right (which your not) and sheffield has the 5th worst VC grave in the uk. is that ok?

Archived