SOLA Bar has reopened.

mr.blaze

Have you been in recently?

I think it has new management ... hope so as it was good then by the end of last year lost the plot slightly. Think they lost alot of custom to other bars

But it was a great place so think I'll check it out again...

Went the other night and didn't notice much improvement on its previous incarnation to be honest. I was disappointed after reading that upbeat Telegraph piece and the thread on here which suggested more. Maybe there is no money to spend on it yet. Not sure what market they are going for.

3 small comments from my visit: The range of beers was more limited than before; Table-wiping and glass collection could improve; No light at foot of the stairs to/from the WCs. All in all it didn't make you want to rush back, but maybe it was an off-night for them, or they are short of staff (but it wasn't very busy). Hope they sort it anyway because it could be a nice place again. At least some artworks were in place as promised and the odd candle was lit, so I wish them well.

Sola Bar's terrific, and I know for a fact after what for some would be insurmountable problems, they're working their socks off to get it sorted. The location is a difficulty, but as more and more people find out it's there (plus once the students are back) I'm sure Vinny and the gang will get it back on the map again.

The drinks aren't a rip-off, which is more than could be said for plenty of less pleasant bars, and the food at lunchtime is superb.

We're putting a night on in there Saturday (broken beats early doors, housier - good house, that is - later on) so people should come and see for themselves.

Check the events section for more info about it.....

I agree with JBlaze, it's a lovely venue and the staff are very accommodating. I had a relly nice night there and loved the decor. The only thing it's lacking is the atmosphere of being full, but then again, we did go on a Wednesday night.

Originally posted by Bish

Sola Bar's terrific, and I know for a fact after what for some would be insurmountable problems, they're working their socks off to get it sorted. The location is a difficulty, but as more and more people find out it's there (plus once the students are back) I'm sure Vinny and the gang will get it back on the map again.

The drinks aren't a rip-off, which is more than could be said for plenty of less pleasant bars, and the food at lunchtime is superb.

We're putting a night on in there Saturday (broken beats early doors, housier - good house, that is - later on) so people should come and see for themselves.

Check the events section for more info.

See you saturday then :)

I wouldn't advise eating there though. We went for a works meal dinner today and the service was so bad e.g. some people had to wait for over an hour for their food, then it was cold etc, that they had to give us all our drinks as complementary and the food for half price!!

Archived