Advice on chainsaws ?

Go for a petrol one. You can get an ms180 for under £200, good little saw for home use. Buy the correct file to sharpen it too as soon as it starts to loose it's edge. If you're trying to take stumps down under ground level you'll blunt the chain straight away and end up in a right mess and it won't do any saw any good. Most importantly, wear the correct protective trousers, boots, ear defenders and gloves and be very careful, you don't get small cuts from chainsaws and a good day can turn to a very bad day within the blink of an eye!! Take care bud and if you're unsure about anything, let me know - I'll be glad to help

Go for a petrol one. You can get an ms180 for under £200, good little saw for home use. Buy the correct file to sharpen it too as soon as it starts to loose it's edge. If you're trying to take stumps down under ground level you'll blunt the chain straight away and end up in a right mess and it won't do any saw any good. Most importantly, wear the correct protective trousers, boots, ear defenders and gloves and be very careful, you don't get small cuts from chainsaws and a good day can turn to a very bad day within the blink of an eye!! Take care bud and if you're unsure about anything, let me know - I'll be glad to help

Cheers for that mate thats nice ansd sensible advice , do you do this sort of thing ie stump removing ect , on the day i will be hireing a kabota as there is alot of ground to level and about 6 or 7 stumps that will need to go below groud level , so not sure if i can dig them out but around the garden is trees aswell to trim down "alot of trimming lol " like i said i putting my options together to hire chainsaw or buy but will deffo have kabota .

Hello bud, sorry for the late reply. I'm a freelance tree surgeon, work for a few different companies. I don't have a stump grinder myself but do have all the climbing gear and saws, so if you need a hand with things just give me a shout. Tatar bud

• 11 months later...
The honest answer is that if you are not sure, you should be paying someone else to do the job.

Electric saws do have limitations of power. What diameter/species are the "big trees"?

Have you seen the price of Tree Surgeons these days ?:o

At least Dick Turpin had the curtesy to wear a mask when he commited daylight robbery.

Borrow or hire a good heavy duty petrol chainsaw and do the job yourself.

Archived