The First Tory Government Since the Advent of the Internet

Maybe it's the 1st Tory (coalition) because of the internet? Ponders.

You may be right there, and maybe it should have been call, this thread, of the Advent of the Communication Age?

Maybe rename it eh?

Which particular right wing nonsense were you thinking of ?

Tone, we could we turn that on it's head and ask which weren't you thinking of.

You have a lot more crap to go at than I have.

George Osbourne and cocaine:

Here's the Hansard version:

Mr Dennis Skinner (Bolsover) (Lab):

If everybody has to share the burden of cutting the budget deficit, will the Chancellor start at the very top, and call upon the royal family to tell them that under no circumstances will they get a single penny of the £7 million increase that they are demanding in the civil list?

Mr Osborne:

We will be making an announcement on the civil list in due course, but if the hon. Gentleman is looking for cost savings, perhaps early retirement is something that he could consider. [ Interruption. ]

Mr Speaker: Order.

Then again later

Mr Osborne:

May I congratulate the hon. Gentleman on his return to the House, as we both served on the Public Accounts Committee when I first arrived in the House? I make this point: he makes an original observation that somehow the British budget deficit is low, when, actually, of course, it is an 11% budget deficit and we are borrowing £156 billion- [ Interruption. ]

Mr Osborne:

Oh, go and take the pension, please. [ Interruption. ]

Mr Speaker:

Order. Can I just remind right hon. and hon. Members of the basic principle of "Erskine May": good temper and moderation in parliamentary exchanges at all times?

Now, that wonderfully Hansard-esque word 'Interruption' covers a multitude of abuse, normally heckles made from a sedentary position.

But in Skinner's case, it hid what he actually said, namely:

"Have you had any of the white stuff lately?"

and

"How many lines today?"

Luckily for him (and me, in repeating it), he's covered by Parliamentary privilege.

The Bolsover MP has form on this, of course, and regularly says similar things whenever Osborne gets to his feet.

Former Speaker Martin took a much harder line (pardon the pun) back in 2005. Skinner was kicked out of the chamber. In an attack on the state of the economy under Tory governments of the 1980s, he said:

"The only thing that was growing then were the lines of coke in front of boy George and the rest of the Tories."

I suspect that some Tories found it odd that the current Speaker didn't formally reprimand Skinner this time around.

There was a rumour around Westminster today that Skinner had indeed been suspended after the event. But the Commons authorities have no record of any such thing.

From a Standard Blog:

http://waugh.standard.co.uk/2010/06/skinners-interruption-hansardstyle.html#tp

Skinner got away with the first remark because he said he meant Boy George.

Hmm, wasn't the Labour Lord Chancellors son locked up for crack cocaine abuse and stalking?

Only today, four former Labour MP's have been told by a judge that they can't abuse Parliamentary privilege so they are going to court charged with common theft.

Didn't Dennis Skinner pay back expenses that he wasn't due too?

The problem with threads like this is that there is always something else out there to trump somebody else's tale.

George Osbourne and cocaine:

Here's the Hansard version:

Mr Dennis Skinner (Bolsover) (Lab):

If everybody has to share the burden of cutting the budget deficit, will the Chancellor start at the very top, and call upon the royal family to tell them that under no circumstances will they get a single penny of the £7 million increase that they are demanding in the civil list?

Mr Osborne:

We will be making an announcement on the civil list in due course, but if the hon. Gentleman is looking for cost savings, perhaps early retirement is something that he could consider. [ Interruption. ]

Mr Speaker: Order.

Then again later

Mr Osborne:

May I congratulate the hon. Gentleman on his return to the House, as we both served on the Public Accounts Committee when I first arrived in the House? I make this point: he makes an original observation that somehow the British budget deficit is low, when, actually, of course, it is an 11% budget deficit and we are borrowing £156 billion- [ Interruption. ]

Mr Osborne:

Oh, go and take the pension, please. [ Interruption. ]

Mr Speaker:

Order. Can I just remind right hon. and hon. Members of the basic principle of "Erskine May": good temper and moderation in parliamentary exchanges at all times?

Now, that wonderfully Hansard-esque word 'Interruption' covers a multitude of abuse, normally heckles made from a sedentary position.

But in Skinner's case, it hid what he actually said, namely:

"Have you had any of the white stuff lately?"

and

"How many lines today?"

Luckily for him (and me, in repeating it), he's covered by Parliamentary privilege.

The Bolsover MP has form on this, of course, and regularly says similar things whenever Osborne gets to his feet.

Former Speaker Martin took a much harder line (pardon the pun) back in 2005. Skinner was kicked out of the chamber. In an attack on the state of the economy under Tory governments of the 1980s, he said:

"The only thing that was growing then were the lines of coke in front of boy George and the rest of the Tories."

I suspect that some Tories found it odd that the current Speaker didn't formally reprimand Skinner this time around.

There was a rumour around Westminster today that Skinner had indeed been suspended after the event. But the Commons authorities have no record of any such thing.

From a Standard Blog:

http://waugh.standard.co.uk/2010/06/skinners-interruption-hansardstyle.html#tp

Skinner got away with the first remark because he said he meant Boy George.

By God

Dennis has lost non of of his skill has he?

You seem to be saying that drug addicts, or at least drug takers, ( now we know why all the drugs are in the country) are the right people to be running this country?

A drug addict as the Chancellor?

They locked them up at one time.

By God

Dennis has lost non of of his skill has he?

You seem to be saying that drug addicts, or at least drug takers, ( now we know why all the drugs are in the country) are the right people to be running this country?

A drug addict as the Chancellor?

They locked them up at one time.

They locked up Derry Irvine's lad for it and coke traces were found in the toilets outside Irvine's Parliamentary office. Still I suppose that Lord Chancellors only have to make the law rather than worry too much about following it.

Archived