Is it illegal to park a car on the road if it has tax but no insurance?

is a car park public highway as a mate of mine owns a shop and says if i want i can park it in his car park for sale
If it's a private car park I doubt you could get done for not having insurance. There's still the risk of it getting nicked or broken into though.

It is illegal and it will cost you six points on your licence.

I fell foul of this over 18 years ago, when my old skoda...yes skoda...was parked in a layby outside my house.

It was taxed and mot'd but wasn't insured. I didn't think it needed to be after all I wasn't driving it.....

BUT, said the police officer, it needed to be insured because of other road users.

Take heed.

Jayne

i have got a car for sale which is taxed and moted and i am wanting to park it in a layby near my house as i have no driveway but due to the car haveing no insurace i dont want it to be towed away the car wont be driven by me all i will be doing is parking it up and leaving a for sale sign in it is this legal or not

In needs to be registered off the road and kept off the road (on private property)... its still advisable to have some insurance however just incase!!

I am not 100% certain, but there are certain circumstances where a car park can be classed as part of the highway, if the public have access to it. This may be one of those circumstances - I think Drink Driving is another.

Sorry, this doesn't help a great deal. Maybe worth asking your insurance company or a friendly policeman, if you know one.

the car WILL be impounded and then you will be fined and have to pay a release and storage fee to the recovery company

is there any pubs near to you that you could park it in the carpark with the landlords permission obviously

the car park is all secure at night so shudnt have any problems there if anybody is wanting to buy a car and wud like more details please pm me

if he owns its you should be able to park on there without insurance same as if it was someones drive

the car would be towed as its classed as being used on a public highway even though its not being driven

the anpr camera cars would pick it up when driving past it and it would come up on the screen in the car

the police would try to contact the registered owner/keeper and then would arrange for recovery to collect it

you would then have to produce documents to prove the car is insured before your car is released

all this will incur recovery and daily storage fees as well

it would be cheaper to insure the car for the time the cars for sale than the fine and recovery charges would be

i used to work on the police recovery scheme so my comments come through my years of experience of recovering vehicles in the same/similar situation

try to find out if you can get insurance for the car whilst its parked up/off road as years ago you used to be able to as long as it did no mileage

Archived