Is it illegal to park a car on the road if it has tax but no insurance?

It is illegal and it will cost you six points on your licence.

I fell foul of this over 18 years ago, when my old skoda...yes skoda...was parked in a layby outside my house.

It was taxed and mot'd but wasn't insured. I didn't think it needed to be after all I wasn't driving it.....

BUT, said the police officer, it needed to be insured because of other road users.

Take heed.

Jayne

Very interesting, BUT why did the police officer have to tell you it needed to be insured what had you done wrong for him to need to see your insurance documents ?.

Very interesting, BUT why did the police officer have to tell you it needed to be insured what had you done wrong for him to need to see your insurance documents ?.

they didnt need to do anything

the anpr camera will have picked it up and then the police will have contacted the registered keeper to find out if they still own the car and if they do why its not insured

It is somewhat illegal. But then again it is taxed. But if you was caught even with no insurance, the police would either take away the car or ask you to get insurance straight away.

Police policy now is to impound any uninsured vehicle, they take your car charge you for the service, charge per day storage, you then have to prove it is insured before you can get it back.

they didnt need to do anything

the anpr camera will have picked it up and then the police will have contacted the registered keeper to find out if they still own the car and if they do why its not insured

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayne67

I fell foul of this over 18 years ago, when my old skoda...yes skoda...was parked in a layby outside my house.

It was taxed and mot'd but wasn't insured. I didn't think it needed to be after all I wasn't driving it.....

BUT, said the police officer, it needed to be insured because of other road users.

Take heed.

Jayne

Hi Tony, please read the original post by Jane, she says she fell foul of this over 18 years ago. At that time APNR was not even thought of, at that time you needed to be stopped by a police officer and asked to produce your documents for him to see, or take them to the nearest police station of your choice within so many days. 18 years ago the police could not call upon a computer data base to see if your vehicle was insured, it was all done documentation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayne67

Take heed.

Jayne

Hi Tony, please read the original post by Jane, she says she fell foul of this over 18 years ago. At that time APNR was not even thought of, at that time you needed to be stopped by a police officer and asked to produce your documents for him to see, or take them to the nearest police station of your choice within so many days. 18 years ago the police could not call upon a computer data base to see if your vehicle was insured, it was all done documentation.

ANPR was invented over 30 years ago. I think the police have been using mobile units for 7 or 8 years now.

a quote straight from wikipedia

The ANPR was invented in 1976 at the Police Scientific Development Branch in the UK. Prototype systems were working by 1979, and contracts were let to produce industrial systems, first at EMI Electronics, and then at Computer Recognition Systems (CRS) in Wokingham, UK. Early trial systems were deployed on the A1 road and at the Dartford Tunnel. The first arrest due to a detected stolen car was made in 1981

i have got a car for sale which is taxed and moted and i am wanting to park it in a layby near my house as i have no driveway but due to the car haveing no insurace i dont want it to be towed away the car wont be driven by me all i will be doing is parking it up and leaving a for sale sign in it is this legal or not

Do you live in a castle?:suspect:

Is it illegal to park a car on the road if it has tax but no insurance?

You bet your ase it is. They get money out of anything to do with the car so will throw resouses at it, its not like your visa running out and you staying, or not bothering to even bothering to let anyone know you in the country. If they earned money out of imigration rarther than it costing then they would be on the ball but as its just insurance and they have invested into data bases and systems to check you out well Im sorry but its sell the thing or have the full force of the law drag your wallet from you.

Archived