Is it illegal to park a car on the road if it has tax but no insurance?

Not really correct Emily, if someone OTHER than the owner drives a car then, if they have the owners permission they can drive it on their own policy BUT it will be on third party only if you have a Fully Comprehensive policy. If you are third party only forget it because you'll have nothing to drive another car unless you contact the company to get it swapped over ( fully Comp. or third party) and that will cost you money. QUOTE]

Thats basically what I said, except I forgot to put that a fully comp driver with DOC (driving other cars) cover is only third party in any other car. But the car must have its own insurance too.

I am fully comp but I can't drive other cars, since I'm only a named driver. I could test drive my car because I bought it from a dealer and he had it on a trader's policy. My previous car I bought privately, I asked my father-in-law to test drive it for me (he's fully comp).

if you have not informed the dvla that your car is out of use, then they will presume it is being driven or intended to be driven and therefore if your not paying tax you will be liable to any fine etc. as for insurance im sure the same applies, till the car is no longer in your name.

Cyclone. Permitting means 'allowing', if a car is on the public highway then it MUST be insured , if you park it in a layby which is part of the road ( Public Highway) then it STILL needs insurance, hence Permitting ( allowing) if you really want to find out go have a look at the Road Traffic Law books. In the instance of insurance the law is definately black and white, ie. You have it or you don't, if you do fine, if you don't then you get fined the car get's trailered away and crushed after 21 days in the yard unless you pay the fee for collection, the by day charge and the police fine you for no insurance as well.

I already looked at the road traffic act, didn't I put a link to the relevant section as well?

It specifically mentions the offence of a vehicle being driven without insurance, not one of being on the road without it.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1988/ukpga_19880052_en_12#pt6-pb1-l1g143

It would appear that only 'using' the car is an offence without insurance, unlike tax where it's an offence for it merely to be on the road.

Utter tripe. It is better not to give advice rather than incorrect advice.

Parked car requires MOT and insurance certificate.

Case Law...

Pumbien v Vines

(1995) The Times June 14 Queen's Bench Divisional Court

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A motor car parked on a road was being used on the road for the purposes of sections 47 and 143 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 even if it was totally immobilised and could only be moved by being dragged away, and, therefore, required both a valid MOT certificate and an insurance policy.

The Court so held in dismissing an appeal by way of case stated by Andee Pumbien against his conviction of offences of using a motor vehicle on a road without either a valid test certificate or insurance policy contrary to sections 47(1) and 143(1) of the 1988 act.

Not too sure on the law regarding a layby or a cul de sac with a line across it.

Interestingly enough public highway refers to not only public roads but also to roads and land to which the public have right of access. So you require insurance on many private roads car parks, green lanes, industrial estates, laybyes etc etc.

You are allowed to drive or park an uninsured vehicle on a private car park, for example, only if the owner of the land gives permission. This is however unlikely to be granted because that permission also transfers the insurance liability to the owner of the land should the car catch fire or cause an injury/damage.

Archived