Is it illegal to park a car on the road if it has tax but no insurance?

Fine, but that doesn't make the statute utter tripe. Did the words utter tripe pass the judges lips when it was tested in court?

Since your clearly very angry about this for some reason, I thought I'd repost the 'utter tripe' just so that you can read it again.

See those three words at the start? Were you too busy frothing at the mouth to notice them when you replied before?

It appears that when anyone asks for legal advice there is always some ill informed know it all prepared to share their ignorance of the subject. So if the OP had headed your advice their car might now be heading for the crusher.

Have you ever considered reading your own signature and acting upon it?

Given that the thread is four pages long with lots of speculative answers, I was hardly the first was I, I was the first to have a look at the statute as far as I saw, and you were the first to know or check any case law. I don't know what your problem is, you were right, I'm happy to be corrected, but your attitude stinks.

One has to wonder why post #4 didn't attract your "utter tripe" approbation? Maybe that was acceptable since they made no effort to check and just guessed?

Are you acting in an official capacity when you answer a legal question on the forum from now on?

Hey you two stop bickering the OP has got the answer so move on.

Anyone asking for advice on a forum has to weigh up the answers given and decide who actually knows and who simply feels the need to express an opinion regardless of their lack of knowledge of the subject.

Beg to differ but a friend has just been in court for using someone elses car that was not insured in its own right, he thought his comprehensive policy covered him to use it but it did not, a fine. points plus a ban was the result, so Emily is quite correct in her post.

Then it appears your mate did'nt actually read his policy properly and got caught out, thinking your insured is not the same as knowing you are.

It has to be insured because if your car was to roll down a hill and hit somebody or someone, you would be liable and also would be prosecuted for no insurance. I found this out when 3 little holligans broke into my car and used it to ramraid someone.

What's the situation if the car is on a trailer that's immobilised?

That question may not have been tested at law yet. In the event that there is no legal precedent (and legal precedent is only formed by decisions of the Court of Appeal or the House of Lords) then if there had been a case in a lower court there would be nothing to prevent you from mentioning that case but you would be unable to cite it as precedent and you could not rely on it.

I suppose you could argue that a car on a trailer is a load on a trailer. You may legally tow a trailer bearing an uninsured car as a load on a public highway (provided you are in compliance with any pertinent laws such as [but not limited to] 'construction and use' regulations.) It is likely, therefore, that if the car was loaded on a trailer which was parked on the highway then the question of whether the load on the trailer was insured would seem to be irrelevant.

BUT (here comes another completely different question): Is it legal to park a loaded trailer on the public highway?

In the UK (AFAIR) towed trailers are not insured separately; they are covered by the insurance policy which covers the use of the towing vehicle.

But what policy covers the trailer when it is not attached to the towing vehicle and is on the public highway? There doesn't appear to be a policy in force when the trailer is not attached to a towing vehicle.

In some places (such as here) a trailer has its own registration plate, a vehicle logbook, a TÜV (equivalent of MOT) and an insurance certificate.

he never had the car anyway, it was my mates car he was meant to be paying for on the 24th of this month, guess what his inbox is full his not answering his phone and the joker had them keep the car for him for 2 weeks as well, he had been trying to swap it before he had even bought it telling people he had just fitted a new head gasket. it also needed the starter motor reconditioning and it takes 2 or 3 turns to start it but he failed to mention that. he had also tried swapping a laptop then a ford ka then a gas cooker for it, they only wanted £180 for it and its mot'd till dec taxed till end of july. the OP is a waste of space could of at least had the decency to say he didnt want it after all rather than them keeping it for him just to be messed about!

needsleep: wats car any road? dont spose a diesel

aaron4lauren: wt u mean

needsleep: the car your selling what is it?

aaron4lauren: v reg rover 416 british racing green with matching interior rover cd player very clean car just dun head gasket so will have no problems with engine although it is the good honda engine open to offers

Archived