Will Charles ever be King?

How old is Liz now? 84 I make it. Shouldn't she be retiring now and letting her eldest son take over? Having read this though where he blames the world’s ills on ‘soulless consumerism’ and Galileo, I hope he gets passed over for one of his sons.

Does anyone even take our monarchy seriously these days? I think we should retire the lot of them.

Considering her mother lived to over 100, it's likely the queen will too. She says she won't abdicate so Charles will probably be in his eighties before he gets a sniff of the throne.

Pity... I think he'd make a good King.

As for William, I think the monarchy might well end with the Queen or Charles, I wouldn't even be surprised if William turns it down. Would the new generation be prepared to give their lives over to a lifetime of duty the way the Queen has?

I hope he gets passed over for one of his sons.

Does anyone even take our monarchy seriously these days? I think we should retire the lot of them.

How could he 'get passed over', unless he dies first? It's not a job that's in the gift of the reigning monarch and if Charles is still alive when his mother, the Queen, dies, he'll become King automatically.

I think that when Charles dies the Monarchy will morph into a very different thing and will probably become something very low key like the Dutch royal house, where they dash about on bicycles and do their own shopping in the local supermarket.

I just can't see, as AnnaB has remarked, either of the Princes being willing to give their lives over to service like the Queen and her immediate family have done. Look at their lifestyles now, I can't see them giving up their freedom just to be a figurehead for the UK.

I'd be all for a republic if the royal family weren't so good for tourism and the image of the UK. I'm sure that the civil list is small fry compared to the amount of money they bring back into the country from visitors etc.

If the queen isn't going to abdicate in favour of Charles then he may well be very close to the end of his life before he accedes to the throne because of the Queen's very long lived family genes.

In that situation I think it would be more sensible for him to abdicate and let a younger man (i.e. Wills or Harry) do the job instead.

I think that much of what our monarchy does is ripe for a rethink though. We have so many pointlessly antiquated rituals happening that it's very easy to see how many people fail to relate to the monarchy completely. A new, younger, monarch could make things a bit less outdated and potentially a little more easy to relate to for everyone else.

I think that much of what our monarchy does is ripe for a rethink though. We have so many pointlessly antiquated rituals happening that it's very easy to see how many people fail to relate to the monarchy completely. A new, younger, monarch could make things a bit less outdated and potentially a little more easy to relate to for everyone else.

Alternatively we could satisy the readership of the Dail Mail and exhume Queen Victoria.

Same with the House of Lords, most religious institutions and some aspects of Parlaiment. It may be a prt of what made Britain great but it seems somewhat outdated and cumbersome today.

Also with everything being broadcast around the wrld several seconds before it even happens, it will be very difficult for the new king to have a private life without hibernating.

I think someone should have a word with Liz though. I reckon she will stick it for the big 50 and then stand down.

Same with the House of Lords, most religious institutions and some aspects of Parlaiment. It may be a prt of what made Britain great but it seems somewhat outdated and cumbersome today.

Also with everything being broadcast around the wrld several seconds before it even happens, it will be very difficult for the new king to have a private life without hibernating.

I think someone should have a word with Liz though. I reckon she will stick it for the big 50 and then stand down.

Did you mean 60?

Archived