Has anyone ever taken Propranolol

My mum has just been prescribed these, although all medication can have some side effects, these look a bit extreme for hot flushes.

Can cause Limping :huh:

dry eyes

Heart Failure :o

Depression but to name a few

probably the worse case senario but a possibility.

It's a betablocker. I've been prescribed it twice : once for fear of flying, when I had to face a return journey to Australia. I had absolutely no side effects (and no fear of flying either). The second time was for high blood pressure and rapid heart rate (same sort of physical symptoms as fear, really). These symptoms can occur in the menopause and are very unpleasant. Propanolol sorted me almost immediately and I came off them after a couple of months.

Please don't worry, this is a very common medication. Not to be taken with more than 2 glasses of wine, though. I did and had a whacking great hangover.

Wish your mum well from me and tell her I'm sure she'll be fine and will be able to come off the medication soon.

She wont take it Rosy, she read the sheet and chucked them in the drawer, she only has hot flushes non of the other things like rapid heart beat, and didnt want to make herself worse just for the sake of flushes

She wont take it Rosy, she read the sheet and chucked them in the drawer, she only has hot flushes non of the other things like rapid heart beat, and didnt want to make herself worse just for the sake of flushes

Well, I can't say I blame her. No-one wants to take drugs if they can help it. Though, as I say, Propanolol was fine for me. It may be that the doctor thought your mum was showing anxiety symptoms along with the hot flushes. The other treatment of course is HRT and that's a biggy too.

Anyway, if she does feel really rough, there's no harm in taking a Propanolol tablet to calm down. I believe people take them before driving tests and I took one an hour before each of my flights and that worked.

Hope your mum gets through this nasty patch O.K. and finds a natural remedy to help with the hot flushes (some people swear by Black Cohosh).

Ive been taking them for over ten years now, since angioplasty, with no adverse side effects. Don't forget the list is only "possible" side effects and doesn't mean that anyone will definitley get them.

When I was first given them I was told that the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra have them before a big performance to calm their nerves which fits in with RosyRat saying about driving tests and flights.....Ive been lucky and never had hot flushes but if these will stop them then......surely that's good.

As i've said before with regard to other drugs... if someone were to start taking propranolol and get themselves killed crossing the road the next day, that list would have to say "possible side effects include being run over by a bus."

That list includes every medical condition that anyone has ever suffered after they started taking propranolol. In some cases, the drug will not be the cause; in other cases, it will have affected only one or two people out of millions. You do need to know what's possible so that you can spot the warning signs, but you also need to know that most of them are so unlikely as to be ridiculous.

No it was for hot flushes only, and she says she would rather cope if she can with just a fan by the bed, she hasnt got any of the other symptoms and is never anxious.

She takes Thyroxine so cant take any herbal remedy as it contains soya

My mum has just been prescribed these, although all medication can have some side effects, these look a bit extreme for hot flushes.

Can cause Limping :huh:

dry eyes

Heart Failure :o

Depression but to name a few

probably the worse case senario but a possibility.

I take them for anxeity sometimes and they are great - some one I know also takes them for migranes and they work for her too...

They have to list the side effects anyone has experienced - even its just one person who has other conditions?? Just incase they are linked - they have worked for me anyhoo - I would tell her not to worry!

Archived