First dance or no first dance

We've been thinking of the same thing and I've made enquiries recently with the new dance school on Penistone Road (near Morrisons) - can't the life of me think what its called at the moment. They quoted me £30 per hour for private lessons. Going to fix up couple of sessions in the new year. I explained that we've picked our first song so the lessons will be putting some moves to it.

I drove up Penistone road to look for it! The one near the Hillsborough Barracks is City Limits. I now also have a number of a lady who teaches in penistone school who came very highly recommended Helen Neil 07771610868.

From flapping penguins into beautiful swans!

My husband and I wanted to learn the Viennese Waltz as we went to a ball in Vienna as part of our honeymoon. 'City Limits' dance centre in sheffield were fantastic - we had a private lesson for just £10! It's also home to Darren and Lillia from Strictly Come Dancing!

• 1 year later...

Having watched many a couple dance their first dance (I'm a wedding DJ), I really dont think you need lessons!

My advice - choose the song you want and practice holding each other in the privacy of your own home and slowly move around to the music.

I've never ever seen a couple do any fancy movements, all anyone does is to move slowly and gently to the music, barely moving their feet and certainly not moving around the dance floor.

Just get used to holding each other and moving slowly to the song and you'll be fine. Trust me!!

Having watched many a couple dance their first dance (I'm a wedding DJ), I really dont think you need lessons!

My advice - choose the song you want and practice holding each other in the privacy of your own home and slowly move around to the music.

I've never ever seen a couple do any fancy movements, all anyone does is to move slowly and gently to the music, barely moving their feet and certainly not moving around the dance floor.

Just get used to holding each other and moving slowly to the song and you'll be fine. Trust me!!

thats fine but me and OH arent the soppy, slow dancey type people! Although he wants to try jiving :loopy: not in my big dress! :hihi:

I had my first dance lessons with Egor at City Limits, he is fantastic. He has not choreographed anything for us just taught us how to foxtrot(Our first dance song is a fox trot style swing song funnily enough)

I really dont want to sway in the middle of the room, I dont slow dance even when there are other people on the dance floor however I do jazz, tap, ballet, jive, salsa, street, break etc etc so for us it makes to sense to actually dance our first dance. All together we have had 4 half hour lessons (half an hour is more than enough for poor blokie, I dance for a hobby he doesnt so any more than that and his head might explode) and we are all set

Archived