Corsa engine advice please

Hmm, I wouldn't personally ever build what you can buy ready made but with engine swaps there's so much fun stuff you can achieve that simply cannot be bought 'off the shelf'.

Good luck brinnyboy, I can't wait until my car is complete, so much fun and excitement :D

I couldn't agree more. But a Corsa isn't the right platform to start with. "You can't polish a turd" springs to mind...

I couldn't agree more. But a Corsa isn't the right platform to start with. "You can't polish a turd" springs to mind...

Yes but you can roll it in glitter.;)

I know several people that have done red top conversions on their Corsa's, like some have said sometimes it is straight forward and others it has been a complete nightmare! Good Luck if you decide to give it a go!

Good conversion vwkittie and pretty straight forward. I think there is an issue with the exhaust clearance on the downpipe or am I thinking of the 1.8T conversion?

Are you on the VW forums? clubgti and edition38 have loads of information regarding engine swaps.

To be honset I'd consider ditching the car & getting soemthing with the engine you want already in as it's intended to cope with the power. Biggest you could possibly go is 1.4 from say 1.2 or 1.0that you might have now, but i'm guessing. Go any bigger & you are talking rengineering the whole braking system. The 1.6 will have bigger diameter front disks & probably vented, possible more pistons in the brake calipers & possibly rear discs instead of drums. The whole project could end in tears when you are flying along & don't have the brakes to cope with the power. It would also be classed as a modified car & unless you do the brakes it would no doubt cost more than just buying the car with the size of engine you want to put in in the first place.

Another thing you may have to consider is the size of the fuel tank, battery, alternator etc. All will need uprating probably. Oh & the larger brakes may not have the clearanace with the wheels you already have, so new larger wheels may be needed with smaller sidewalls so the overall diameter with tyre is not differenet or the speedo will be out / not accurate. For example a 185x 60x14 is a similar diameter with tyre as a 195x50x15.

Really there is a lot to consider unless you are going from say 1.0 to 1.2 or even 1.2 to 1.4.

Been there and researched very similar sort of stuff some years back when i wanted to convert my Peugeot 205 1.4 XS (Citroen ax gt engine in it) into a full blow 1.6 GTI. The whole lot was just not worth the hassle & uninsurable when i checked. Just not worth the hassle unless you got wads off cash for the insurance when converted.

I know it's not what you want to hear but thought i'd give you the facts...

Good conversion vwkittie and pretty straight forward. I think there is an issue with the exhaust clearance on the downpipe or am I thinking of the 1.8T conversion?

Are you on the VW forums? clubgti and edition38 have loads of information regarding engine swaps.

Hey yea I'm on golfgti.co.uk :)

As Bedders says engine swaps can be big projects, hence why I've been at it for years already and still no sign of the new engine!

I do have problems with my big 4 pot brakes and wheel clearance, it's kind of a thorn in my side at the moment!

I'm not sure about the downpipe clearance to be honest, I've already got a full stainless on (Powerflow, never again, stupidly loud) so I'm sure we can sort something out if needs be! I do think it'll be ok though - the engine I'm interested in is the mk3 ABF and it's a very common swap.

I do think the headgasket has just popped on my current 8v engine however so I am rather toying with the idea of seeing what can be achieved with the 8v first. I OH knows someone who can do head work cheap :D

Hey yea I'm on golfgti.co.uk :)

As Bedders says engine swaps can be big projects, hence why I've been at it for years already and still no sign of the new engine!

I do have problems with my big 4 pot brakes and wheel clearance, it's kind of a thorn in my side at the moment!

I'm not sure about the downpipe clearance to be honest, I've already got a full stainless on (Powerflow, never again, stupidly loud) so I'm sure we can sort something out if needs be! I do think it'll be ok though - the engine I'm interested in is the mk3 ABF and it's a very common swap.

I do think the headgasket has just popped on my current 8v engine however so I am rather toying with the idea of seeing what can be achieved with the 8v first. I OH knows someone who can do head work cheap :D

Did you go for the full monty sound on the Powerflow? They can be very loud!!!! I've got the mid-sport Powerflow on my Subaru with unequal length Borla manifold for the Scooby burble. Sounds magic & as it's all stainless won't rust

:thumbsup:

Did you go for the full monty sound on the Powerflow? They can be very loud!!!! I've got the mid-sport Powerflow on my Subaru with unequal length Borla manifold for the Scooby burble. Sounds magic & as it's all stainless won't rust

:thumbsup:

I asked for basically as close to factory as possible, and not too loud but it is really loud and sounds like a WW2 plane taking off :(

I didn't realise they aren't baffled, wish they had told me as I would have gone elsewhere!

Archived