Has the flag of St George been recaptured from the far-right?

You're dead right Suffy, I will limply support the WI in the cricket, mainly because it's the only thing they're good at. I remember being berated by a mate a few years ago for having divided loyalties, (I didn't see it like that), so you can imagine my amusement when some years later we were watching England play Wales in the rugby (when Wales were world beaters) and he was cheering on Wales because his Mum's from Swansea!

My mother still supports the WI after 40+ years in the UK, so it has caused some consternation and domestic disharmony over the years! My in-laws who as you know live in SA, have a few ructions too as my father-in-law still supports England in cricket and mother-in-law SA. I hate cricket so support no one.:D

My mother still supports the WI after 40+ years in the UK, so it has caused some consternation and domestic disharmony over the years! My in-laws who as you know live in SA, have a few ructions too as my father-in-law still supports England in the cricket and mother-in-law SA. I hate cricket so support no one.:D

Aaaaahhh! i knew it!! :roll:;)

Displaying the flag to show patriotism or support your country has never been a problem for normal folk and has never been the sole preserve of the far right. The left has always linked flags with the far right, unfortunately all too often anybody in the middle displaying the flag has often been labelled the same.

Er no. Far right groups such as the EDL appropriated the cross of St George without any help of the political left.

Stupid journalists of right wing rags who don't even bother to investigate stories properly, often invent stoires that are oft repeated on here about how 'you can't do this', or 'you're not allowed to do that'. Such stories then become accepted as fact.

There are plenty of patriots across the political spectrum. Not all of us need a tacky plastic flag to prove our allegiances to others.

It isn't just Daily Mail readers who have a monopoly on feelings of national pride.

lookie here ... I was right ...

Originally Posted by Paul Blade

Playing soccer, what's soccer? its FOOTBALL

pet hate

Originally posted by buck

Liisten fool, we call it soccer to differentiate between that and American football, which we simply call football. We are not going to change our ways just to accommodate an oaf like you. My pet hate are idiots who think they own this language.

You just have to love him, don't you? :hihi:

Buck is quite entitled to support whatever nation he chooses. I'm sure that he'll be rootin' tootin' for Great Britain in the Rounders Baseball World Cup

Er no. Far right groups such as the EDL appropriated the cross of St George without any help of the political left.

Stupid journalists of right wing rags who don't even bother to investigate stories properly, often invent stoires that are oft repeated on here about how 'you can't do this', or 'you're not allowed to do that'. Such stories then become accepted as fact.

There are plenty of patriots across the political spectrum. Not all of us need a tacky plastic flag to prove our allegiances to others.

It isn't just Daily Mail readers who have a monopoly on feelings of national pride.

Very well said Mister M. You ought to post more often.

Yes the far right did take on the flag for their own accord of course, however the left have at times had no qualms in pigeon holing anybody else as the same just for displaying a flag.

I don't know where these stupid stories originate, possibly in right wing press for all I know, anybody that swallows it is just a doofus. So a handful of idiots believe it, the left then typically take that, blow it out of all proportion to make anybody with a flag look stupid by association.

Thank you for stating the obvious.

Archived