Has the flag of St George been recaptured from the far-right?

Displaying the flag to show patriotism or support your country has never been a problem for normal folk and has never been the sole preserve of the far right. The left has always linked flags with the far right, unfortunately all too often anybody in the middle displaying the flag has often been labelled the same.

Were they on duty though?

Given that I drive down Wolseley Road very often I can confirm that there are a great deal of Taxis that have England flags on and they don't look like something you would take off then they are on duty.

I disagree with the premise that I should have to "reclaim it" as though they had nicked it and had exclusive rights on it.

I disagree. They don't have exclusivity but they are willing to try and abuse it for their own means. The far-right are attempting to link country and race when they link the icon of flag with their beliefs.

Maybe we are arguing the same point here; the racists will try to do this. For you it fails and for others they may wish to "claim it back".

On a side note: one reason I like the World Cup is that i love the idea of black people representing England. Every racist in the country will be filled with loathing at the idea.

Archived