Has the flag of St George been recaptured from the far-right?

Not so ,it used to be but the flag has been recognised on land as the Jack for quite some time

Not technically correct (well somebody will point it out with glee), but I like the fact it has taken on being called the Jack on land even if incorrect, as a recognition of our rich sea faring and navel history, another reflection of our heritage.

Not technically correct (well somebody will point it out with glee), but I like the fact it has taken on being called the Jack on land even if incorrect, as a recognition of our rich sea faring and navel history, another reflection of our heritage.

Not officially but commonly known

"No law has been passed making the Union Flag the national flag of the United Kingdom: it has become one through precedent. Its first recorded recognition as a national flag came in 1908, when it was stated in Parliament that "the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag". A more categorical statement was made by the Home Secretary, Sir John Gilmour, in 1933 when he stated that "the Union Jack is the National Flag". But it is still officially a flag of the monarch, rather than the Union"

But your right the nit pickers and pedants will be all agog

If you ever get away from posting garbage on here you will see loads of black cabs (driven by asians) with England flags on. Since started the thread been in town for a few jars and seen many more flying the flag.

As I've always suspected, you need to get out a bit more. Maybe you could arrange a night out for you serapis, Banginman and Toytown Phil (currently Geekfreak)?:rolleyes::cool:

Totally agree with you. I have even seen Muslim women (Hijabis) flying the flag. I think he just doesn't like the fact there are muslims out there that support and are proud to be British! COME ON ENGLANDDDD.... :love:

I ask this question as I see loads of asian taxi drivers with Engand flags on their cars this World Cup, this would have been unthinkable not too many years ago as the flag had been hijacked by fascist groups like the BNP and NF (and more recently EDL).

I think it is a very encouraging sign that they are now integrating more into the UK.:cool:

They never really had it did they? Some misguided people thought that they had but that says a bit more about them than the rest of us.

I've been using the Union Flag and the Cross of St George in my SF avatar for 5/6 years - since the days that the BNP tried an SF infiltration in fact. One or two others have joined me including a Labour councillor... please feel free to come on board with us :)

the flag has been recognised on land as the Jack for quite some time

A Jack and a Flag are two different things. Britain is a rare case in naval terms where we have the same design for both the jack and the flag. The US has a very strange naval jack. (Picture)

I am being a pedant though, i'll agree with that. :)

The flag was never "taken". It's always been there for all to use and abuse. Its only the tabloids who've linked it with the far right and sullied it.

Just as they did when they bandied about the lie that the flag had been banned so as not to 'offend' minorities. Thinly-veiled racist cobblers designed to cause anger against minorities and let the knuckle-draggers wrap themselves in nationalism once more and they lapped it up.

Just as they did when they bandied about the lie that the flag had been banned so as not to 'offend' minorities. Thinly-veiled racist cobblers designed to cause anger against minorities and let the knuckle-draggers wrap themselves in nationalism once more and they lapped it up.

national pride equals knuckle draggers? wrong

I've seen flags in asian shops, takeaways and on cars driven by asians ( not taxi drivers )!!!???.... Whats the big deal?
There isn't one, is there? Only in the mind of the OP.

Although I did think that taxis/ph weren't allowed to fix any extraneous articles to their vehicles, such as flags, whilst on duty? Obviously an exception is being made for the World Cup :thumbsup: And Yorkshire Day! ;)

Archived