Has the flag of St George been recaptured from the far-right?

That's what all these sensational stories do scuba, they put ethnic minorities in a defensive mode. It's not just white folks that read the daft stories about Xmas/flags/blackboards being banned because immigrants/black/Muslims don't like them.

So they could be forgiven for highlighting the instances where far from being offended they embrace those elements of British culture.

It's a shame such behaviour is necessary, but I've seen many times on here and elsewhere, people saying they dont integrate enough, denounce terrorism loudly enough or park their cars well enough.

But they are British, I fail to understand why anyone would even point out the fact the Asian cabbies are flying the flag! :huh:

But they are British, I fail to understand why anyone would even point out the fact the Asian cabbies are flying the flag! :huh:

I know, I know..but sometimes they need some convincing after all the invective that pursues them.

There are plenty who believe they're not British, and resent them flying the flag, I guess Asian taxi drivers feel they have a point to prove to them as well as themselves.

I know, I know..but sometimes they need some convincing after all the invective that pursues them. There are plenty who believe they're not British, and resent them flying the flag, I guess Asian taxi drivers feel they have a point to prove to them as well as themselves.
Do you know that for a fact, or are you extrapolating? I haven't actually bothered to ask any asian cabbies or not, what their motivation is for flying a flag or not, because I actually hadn't even registered it as being a thought even!

I get the impression that the OP is another melthebell who is obsessed with Muslims and what they do and don't do. I could be wrong, of course, in which case I will stand corrected. :)

Oh dear, my own prejudices-I'd assumed the OP was an Asian taxi driver, although reflecting back to previous discussions I'm pretty sure they aren't :blush:

I went through Darnall on the 52 earlier. I didn't see one England flag on display. It got me thinking and I came up with 3 possible reasons:

a) The Asian community don't identify with the English flag as it has been perceived as a symbol of the far right.

b) The people living there associate more with the country their families come from, e.g. Pakistan etc.

c) They don't like football.

I'm veering towards the latter, but suspect it is a mixture of all 3.

Thoughts?

Do you know that for a fact, or are you extrapolating? I haven't actually bothered to ask any asian cabbies or not, what their motivation is for flying a flag or not, because I actually hadn't even registered it as being a thought even!

I'm really reflecting on my own experiences ruby in the 60's & 70's, when blacks in the UK were perceived in a similar way, it creates a situation where you're shallow breathing all the time.

I haven't seen any Asian cabbies flying flags or asked them why they do so, if I were being cynical I might suggest it could equally be for commercial reasons ;)

I get the impression that the OP is another melthebell who is obsessed with Muslims and what they do and don't do. I could be wrong, of course, in which case I will stand corrected. :)

I appreciate that not having any knowledge / background on a particular subject rarely stops you but what the hell do you know about football culture? May be you're just bitter that you missed out on a business opportunity to off-load some more tat?;)

if I were being cynical I might suggest it could equally be for commercial reasons ;)

That is 100% my conclusion. Same with take aways, restaurants etc. It's nowt to do with geting behind the team, it's just marketing. Nothing wrong with that mind.

Archived