Has the flag of St George been recaptured from the far-right?

I went through Darnall on the 52 earlier. I didn't see one England flag on display. It got me thinking and I came up with 3 possible reasons:

a) The Asian community don't identify with the English flag as it has been perceived as a symbol of the far right.

b) The people living there associate more with the country their families come from, e.g. Pakistan etc.

c) They don't like football.

I'm veering towards the latter, but suspect it is a mixture of all 3.

Thoughts?

You know, there are just as many 'English' non muslim, non pakistani descent people live in Darnall, as there are british pakistani descent Muslims, if not more. Maybe Darnall people are just less 'chavvy' than south Sheffield people? ;)

You know, there are just as many 'English' non muslim, non pakistani descent people live in Darnall, as there are british pakistani descent Muslims, if not more

I didn’t say there wasn't. I'm just commenting on the main road the bus follows which appears to be predominantly of Asian residents.

I can't say I had noticed...but then I haven't been keeping a special eye out for Asian taxi drivers just to check up on them to see if they're flying the flag....very strange behaviour!

Perhaps you should, before calling someone a liar. :loopy:

I'm really reflecting on my own experiences ruby in the 60's & 70's, when blacks in the UK were perceived in a similar way, it creates a situation where you're shallow breathing all the time.

I haven't seen any Asian cabbies flying flags or asked them why they do so, if I were being cynical I might suggest it could equally be for commercial reasons ;)

did tha get picked on in the 60s and 70s...well i'll let thi into a secret...it wasn't owt to do with the colour...it wa because us lads saw thi big trouser snake and wa jealous...and them leopard skin pants were the bees knees....let thi into another secret...when the brandy boys enter a pub before us when we are out with the watch....you can see kids get uneasy...and they dont wear leopard skin...:hihi::hihi::hihi:

That is 100% my conclusion. Same with take aways, restaurants etc. It's nowt to do with geting behind the team, it's just marketing. Nothing wrong with that mind.

Perhaps so Farslad, you can imagine if someone believed you were un-patriotic, and your business could be affected by that false assumption, that you might pull out all the stops to prove otherwise!

did tha get picked on in the 60s and 70s...well i'll let thi into a secret...it wasn't owt to do with the colour...it wa because us lads saw thi big trouser snake and wa jealous...and them leopard skin pants were the bees knees....let thi into another secret...when the brandy boys enter a pub before us when we are out with the watch....you can see kids get uneasy...and they dont wear leopard skin...:hihi::hihi::hihi:

I can always rely on you easty :hihi: You'll be pleased to know that the leopard skins have been replaced with a skimpy St George number in bri-nylon, they'll drive the girls wild-I'll tell thee! :D Ps the brandy boys should do hen parties ;)

I ask this question as I see loads of asian taxi drivers with Engand flags on their cars this World Cup, this would have been unthinkable not too many years ago as the flag had been hijacked by fascist groups like the BNP and NF (and more recently EDL).

I think it is a very encouraging sign that they are now integrating more into the UK.:cool:

Do the same cabs fly the cross of St George when England is playing in cricket tournaments ;)

Do the same cabs fly the cross of St George when England is playing in cricket tournaments ;)

You'd probably find it in a similar ratio to what English ex pats do when their host country is playing in a cricket tournament ;)

Archived