Has the flag of St George been recaptured from the far-right?

I bet buck and Harleyman weren't supporting England on Saturday night, they're fiercely in love with their adopted country and think they're lucky to be able to live there rather than UK. That's the spirit you mean? :D

That's a good point ruby, I suppose it's everyones personal choice, there's no reason why they should have to, but I don't mind if they do.

I was receiving really positive emails after the match from relatives and old school friends who've emigrated to the States (and despite being surrounded by their American children and partners) they were universally still flying the St George proud. One pal even dressed as an English crusader with chain link vest, St George tabbard and painted face..the Americans have probably deported him already ;)

It's always been an English flag, and it always will.

If you fly it, your saying your English.

Not necessarily, you could be from Genoa.;)

Or perhaps you could just be flying it when you're sailing around the Mediterranean in order to trick people into thinking you're under the protection of Genoa. Apparently some historians think that's why the English first started using it!

That's a good point ruby,.

lookie here ... I was right ...

Originally Posted by Paul Blade

Playing soccer, what's soccer? its FOOTBALL

pet hate

Originally posted by buck

Liisten fool, we call it soccer to differentiate between that and American football, which we simply call football. We are not going to change our ways just to accommodate an oaf like you. My pet hate are idiots who think they own this language.

You just have to love him, don't you? :hihi:

That's a good point ruby, I suppose it's everyones personal choice, there's no reason why they should have to, but I don't mind if they do.

I was receiving really positive emails after the match from relatives and old school friends who've emigrated to the States (and despite being surrounded by their American children and partners) they were universally still flying the St George proud. One pal even dressed as an English crusader with chain link vest, St George tabbard and painted face..the Americans have probably deported him already ;)

Don't you find it amusing how the English think that they reserve the right to support their nation's team in these international tournaments, when they're ex-pats, yet many will still cling to the Norman Tebbit school of thought and expect anyone of non-English descent living here in the UK, should support England? I'm thinking of cricket in particular, but it applies to other sports. Is it the ultimate litmus test as to whether you've fully embraced the dominant culture? And I bet that there are plenty on here who would support England for the rest of their life if they lived abroad, but would foam at the mouth if immigrants and their descendants in the UK did similar and start screaming for them to be deported!

lookie here ... I was right ...

Originally Posted by Paul Blade

Playing soccer, what's soccer? its FOOTBALL

pet hate

Originally posted by buck

Liisten fool, we call it soccer to differentiate between that and American football, which we simply call football. We are not going to change our ways just to accommodate an oaf like you. My pet hate are idiots who think they own this language.

You just have to love him, don't you? :hihi:

Thankfully, it was never a sentiment I embraced with regards to buck :hihi:

Don't you find it amusing how the English think that they reserve the right to support their nation's team in these international tournaments, when they're ex-pats, yet many will still cling to the Norman Tebbit school of thought and expect anyone of non-English descent living here in the UK, should support England? I'm thinking of cricket in particular, but it applies to other sports. Is it the ultimate litmus test as to whether you've fully embraced the dominant culture? And I bet that there are plenty on here who would support England for the rest of their life if they lived abroad, but would foam at the mouth if immigrants and their descendants in the UK did similar and start screaming for them to be deported!

Typical lefty hysteria being whipped up. We have a couple of Americans at our work. Nobody was expecting them to be supporting England on Saturday. Nobody suggested they should be sacked and deported when they came in bleeting how mighty England failed to get the better of them!

You're dead right Suffy, I will limply support the WI in the cricket, mainly because it's the only thing they're good at. I remember being berated by a mate a few years ago for having divided loyalties, (I didn't see it like that), so you can imagine my amusement when some years later we were watching England play Wales in the rugby (when Wales were world beaters) and he was cheering on Wales because his Mum's from Swansea!

Typical lefty hysteria being whipped up. We have a couple of Americans at our work. Nobody was expecting them to be supporting England on Saturday.

Presumably that's because you'd already tarred & feathered them and locked them in the basement scuba? ;)

Archived