Why am I never satisfied with life, but many people are.

I have debated this topic with many people strangers and friends alike, but now its time to put the question to this particular forum.

I cant seem to shake the belief that life just isn't worth living, its too long. Before I get the suicide helpline number, or the sympathetic "Dont do it, it always gets better" posts. Im not contemplating nor have I ever attempted suicide.

I ask the question because it would seem someone with all the blessings I have been given would cherish them and be eternally greatful yet I still would be non the less happier if it all ended.

I dont mean to sound big headed, but as a 23 year old law student, I pretty much have already what most people will work for in their lifetime, I have my own house, I have 2 cars, A girl friend who I'd prefer to be with than anyone else on earth(excluding a certain movie star - thats just lust though it will be over in a matter of minutes) but not satisfied. Unfortunatly this isn't a feeling on a cloud filled rainy day its a general occurance why is this.

Sounds to me like you've got it all wrong dump the girl sell the house and cars quit your job use the money to travel the world go to every place you can think of especially the ones that seem a bit ****. Then when you get back see if you want to go back to what you were doing before or if you've actually found your real goal in life.

You could try volunteering on a community project or helping people out that you know need it. Sometimes these selfless acts and the reaction that they produce in those you help can create a long-term feeling of fulfillment that no amount of material goods or career success can provide.

Though Madnbad's suggestion does sound fun!

I have debated this topic with many people strangers and friends alike, but now its time to put the question to this particular forum.

I cant seem to shake the belief that life just isn't worth living, its too long. Before I get the suicide helpline number, or the sympathetic "Dont do it, it always gets better" posts. Im not contemplating nor have I ever attempted suicide.

I ask the question because it would seem someone with all the blessings I have been given would cherish them and be eternally greatful yet I still would be non the less happier if it all ended.

I dont mean to sound big headed, but as a 23 year old law student, I pretty much have already what most people will work for in their lifetime, I have my own house, I have 2 cars, A girl friend who I'd prefer to be with than anyone else on earth(excluding a certain movie star - thats just lust though it will be over in a matter of minutes) but not satisfied. Unfortunatly this isn't a feeling on a cloud filled rainy day its a general occurance why is this.

I think you need to see a head shrink because at 23 you have your own house, 2 cars ,a girlfriend and you are still not happy with life?

Devils advocate:

If you look at most posts and threads most are very pessimistic about the world and their lot. By enlarge the world is a nasty place inhabited by nasty people who just want to screw each other for a buck. We as individuals are just a microcosm of the greedy fat cats we abhor but in reality aspire to?

Maybe the OP sees the human race as a waste of space?

I think you need to see a head shrink because at 23 you have your own house, 2 cars ,a girlfriend and you are still not happy with life?

Maybe that's the OP's problem...houses, cars, tv's do not equal "happy"?

For what its worth i think you are satisfied with life you just do not realise yet.

Without being too nosy, have you had to work hard to get where you are today or have you been in a situation where you were given golden oppotunities?

maybe if you have not had to go through the hardships then you cannot fully appreciate what you have now.

why don't you try volunteering to work with disabled kids or kids with terminal illness, it will be a real eye opener for you and may just change your thought patterns aa little. As someone has said already, its a crap world we live in most of the time but the beauty and innocence of helping someone and really making a positive difference to their lives is that it will give you a greater sense of purpose in your own.

I dont think you need to look far to try and see what is missing in your life, i just think you need to look a little deeper. eitherway, good luck and i hope you get the answers you are looking for.:)

... as a 23 year old law student, I pretty much have already what most people will work for in their lifetime, I have my own house, I have 2 cars,....

Are you a student or have you graduated and found a decent job? If you are a student, how the heck can afford your own house and 2 cars?! :o

Archived