Family Guy and Downs Syndrome

Summer Heights High had a Downs Syndrome character (played by a real life Downs actor) and a storyline that was extremely near the knuckle in parts. It was amazing how Chris Lilley managed to strike just the right balance, never tipping into condescention while also never putting the brakes on seeing what they could get away with.

South Park has two regular characters that are disabled and are not treated any differently to the other kids, though Canadians seem to come in for a bit of stick.

Yeah, Timmy is one of the best characters IMO.

I love Family Guy. Like someone else said; if you don't want to be offended then don't watch it... go watch Carebears or something.

Thing is the media loves to portray disabled people as poor broken angels with no personality defaults. Clearly this isn't true. Disabled people can be just as vile and obnoxious as the rest of us and I think FG should be applauded for having the balls to show that.

Sandie Richardson in Crossroads was a conniving git! :hihi: I see that Corrie now has a disabled character.

The reality is that you will find that some kids with disabilities are (understandably) over-indulged by their parents and denied nothing as they feel guilty and tend to overcompensate, so they can consequently grow in absolute brats and very unpleasant adults. Friends of mine with kids with disabilities have actually be warned about this by health professionals.

Archived