Memories of Woodthorpe area

Maureen

dus any 1 know the underhays the big family that lived on woodthorpe,, do you know the following;

Carol underhay

rhona underhay

dawn underhay

susan underhay

peter underhay (aka fatty)

paul underhay

mick underhay

jimmy underhay

etc.

all brothers and sisters lol

most may have diffrent surnames!!

im 1 of carol underhays now nown as carol needham sons (the youngest)

???

i was in same class as steven at school and i knew most of them by sight as you can always tell an underhay. roy was always the prankster i remember once he bumped into me with his bike and hurt my leg as he was larking about i know he didnt mean it he did say sorry. they are the only 2 i remember i know there was a lot of them, i know they got pulled down a lot by people and if anything went of it was always the underhays that got blamed but i liked steven and roy

i was in same class as steven at school and i knew most of them by sight as you can always tell an underhay. roy was always the prankster i remember once he bumped into me with his bike and hurt my leg as he was larking about i know he didnt mean it he did say sorry. they are the only 2 i remember i know there was a lot of them, i know they got pulled down a lot by people and if anything went of it was always the underhays that got blamed but i liked steven and roy

Steven (Horace) is my uncle

• 2 weeks later...
can remember ten town. my nan and aunties still live on woodthorpe. they have done for years, my mum used to play on it when she was little. A man called joe warrel some others blokes ran it.

do you know anyone named edna, sister barbara? you should know the goodwins if you know ten town! take care

Ten Town Adventure Ppayground was set up in 1965. It was the brainchild of a scouse by the name of Terry Page. I and a guy called Steve Hall who lived on Woodrove Close, along with Terry Page started the Ten Town adventure playground. The area was fenced and we were donated a caravan originally. Old wood and packing cases were collected for the localkids to build dens. Telegraph poles were erected and a rope slide was made there was also a sandpit. We had numerous sponcerd events to get money so that we could make life a little more interesting for the kids. I also know the Underhays as my wife ,also from a large family, was brought up with them.:)

Hi, I remember tentown, used to play there all the time. I remember Joe Worral and his dog Blackie, Carl Chapman . I also remember the Underhays and the Weatherstones. Two big families. I also remember the Goodwins especially Carl. The Griffiths also come to mind, Mrs Griffiths was the lollipop lady at woodthorpe school. Does anyone remember Mr. Lyons at woodthorpe baths.I remember Mr. Sallis he was great.I had a great time growing up in woodthorpe .

I am married to Jean Weatherstone she grew up with the Underhays and lived in Woodthorpe Crescent. We have recently returned to Sheffield and now live near The Sherwood. Mick calls i every week to see us.

I am married to Jean Weatherstone she grew up with the Underhays and lived in Woodthorpe Crescent. We have recently returned to Sheffield and now live near The Sherwood. Mick calls i every week to see us.

i remember the weatherstone getting forgetful with names but i think it was pamela that i sometimes hung around with and remember she had an older brother i think was tony but getting forgetful with names last time i saw pamela if i got the right name was in my late teens or early twenties when we worked a short time together

• 2 weeks later...
i remember the weatherstone getting forgetful with names but i think it was pamela that i sometimes hung around with and remember she had an older brother i think was tony but getting forgetful with names last time i saw pamela if i got the right name was in my late teens or early twenties when we worked a short time together

The names of the Weatherstones in order of age are:

Jean

Mary

Tony

Pamela

Michael

June

Peter

Mark

Most still live in the Sheffield area some have moved to Skegness

I remember the Woodthorpe from the 60s' onward but I lived and was brought up on the Base Green. Hope this helps:cool:

• 3 months later...

Archived