Memories of Woodthorpe area

Maureen

do you remember mr lions? i was sooooo scared of him:hihi:

i pushed him in the baths after brian phelps (olympic diver )presented me with a cup,i won a few cups that were kept at the back of the hall in woodthorpe school,my mate mick was mr lyons nephew,but he still banned me from the baths for a month

Everyone was frightened of Mr Lyons weren't they. I left Woodthorpe July 1968, I was into 4th year in Sept 68 but left to go to Brook so I could stay one to 5th year and do exams, my class teacher in the 3rd year was Mr Monahan he was a brill teacher. Apart from those already mentioned there was Mr Burgin,Miss Wiles,Mrs Roberts,Mr Mellor,Miss(Ithink)Geldest sad as I am I have all their autographs as well as most of the people in the same year as me.

Everyone was frightened of Mr Lyons weren't they. I left Woodthorpe July 1968, I was into 4th year in Sept 68 but left to go to Brook so I could stay one to 5th year and do exams, my class teacher in the 3rd year was Mr Monahan he was a brill teacher. Apart from those already mentioned there was Mr Burgin,Miss Wiles,Mrs Roberts,Mr Mellor,Miss(Ithink)Geldest sad as I am I have all their autographs as well as most of the people in the same year as me.

did you ever understand a word mr monohan said ?

• 6 months later...

As a new member to the Sheffield Forum, I came across this website accidentally and have throughly enjoyed reading about teachers/pupils from Woodthorpe School. Many names I too remember ... Mr Sallis, Mr Jennings, Miss Clark (PE teacher) and of course, Mr Frost. I also remember a student teacher called Miss Crisp; she had no control over our class (or any other as I recall) and we must have made her life a misery. Mr Lyons, the swimming coach was a wonderful man and during one of my few visits back to Sheffield, was shocked to discover the swimming pool no longer exists! I was part of the swimming team comprising of Nancy Smith, Margaret Jones, Christine Wilson and myself, Diane Turner in the late 1950's.

Archived