Young shop assistants calling you mate or pal! Gets my back up!

I was in a well known motoring parts and cycling retailer today picking up a bike that I had reserved online for my sons birthday.

The young fella that served me (about 16 years of age) greeted me with the words "can I help you Pal?"

I let it go and continued to explain why I was gracing the store with my presence.

The young fella asked me what I would use to lubricate the chain on the bike.

I said WD40. Silly me!

The kid gave me a roll eye, and said "No mate, WD40 is water based, you need to use this, It's half price cause you has bought a bike".

No problem. The lad was trying to upsell me as he has been instructed by his manager.

The thing that got to me was his use of pal and mate!

I bring this up because when I was a lad back in the early nineties, I had a salesman job at DC Cook.

I got a phone call from a punter and I called him mate. The "punter" blasted down the phone "I am a customer, I am sir, I am not your mate. My name is Derek Cook, clear your desk"!!

Taught me a lesson! I am no prude but I do think a modicum of respect wouldn't go amiss with the youth of today.

The young fella asked me what I would use to lubricate the chain on the bike.

I said WD40. Silly me!

The kid gave me a roll eye, and said "No mate, WD40 is water based, you need to use this, It's half price cause you has bought a bike".

I thought WD40 repelled water how does it do that if its water based.

edit

WD-40's formula is a trade secret. The product is not patented in order to avoid completely disclosing its ingredients.[2] WD-40's main ingredients, according to U.S. Material Safety Data Sheet information, are:

50%: Stoddard solvent (i.e., mineral spirits -- primarily hexane, somewhat similar to kerosene)

25%: Liquefied petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant; carbon dioxide is now used instead to reduce WD-40's considerable flammability)

15+%: Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)

10-%: Inert ingredients

I thought WD40 repelled water how does it do that if its water based.

edit

WD-40's formula is a trade secret. The product is not patented in order to avoid completely disclosing its ingredients.[2] WD-40's main ingredients, according to U.S. Material Safety Data Sheet information, are:

50%: Stoddard solvent (i.e., mineral spirits -- primarily hexane, somewhat similar to kerosene)

25%: Liquefied petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant; carbon dioxide is now used instead to reduce WD-40's considerable flammability)

15+%: Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)

10-%: Inert ingredients

I thought so too, Thought it best not to argue though for fear of getting a cap in my ass!

You did the same until you were taught otherwise. Perhaps he just hasn't had the call yet?

Good point. Lets hope he gets the call, and that any other spotty faced, **** sure pratt gets the call too.

Unless the boss has no manners or respect for paying customers either!

Good point. Lets hope he gets the call, and that any other spotty faced, **** sure pratt gets the call too.

Unless the boss has no manners or respect for paying customers either!

Ok so he called you pal and mate whilst serving you.

Hardly worthy of being referred to as a 'spotty faced, **** sure pratt' is it?

And you say he had no manners or respect....

Archived