Young shop assistants calling you mate or pal! Gets my back up!

I think it is the fact that Colin is actually a Lord that shocked my boss. But if anyone ever calls him Lord xxx he says "Don't bother with all that rubbish, call me Colin".

think thats the norm in todays society when ever someone asks "may i call you carly" i normaly answer with you can call me anything but i only answer to carly :D

if i were in halfords and got called madam id proberly say how old do you think i am hahaha

If you asked to try on a piece of bling in Harrods, would you be so understanding if the assistant said " You look with your eyes pal, you can't afford it ****"?

If you asked to try on a piece of bling in Harrods, would you be so understanding if the assistant said " You look with your eyes pal, you can't afford it ****"?

first of i believe the 'bird' used as a pet name is duck not ****, and i have no interest in going to harrods im not that stuck up that i need to waste money on over inflated prices

But that's not comparable to the scenario in your OP (you sound like Adrian Mole!). The chap was not rude, he was helpful. He just happened to offend your sense of decorum because you're 'old school'.

With shops like Halfords, DIY stores and the like, most people just want someone who knows their stuff and can point you in the right direction. What infuriates me is going to a DIY store or somewhere like Decathlon, for example, when the staff don't know anything about their products.

I agree just because you may be a lord or lady not everyone cares about the title they have do they?

The funniest thing was when a new member of staff, who had never spoken to a Lord before called him "Your Highness". He saw the funny side. :hihi:

first of i believe the 'bird' used as a pet name is duck not ****, and i have no interest in going to harrods im not that stuck up that i need to waste money on over inflated prices

It's ironic that being called '****' by the staff at Harrods would cause you offence! :hihi:;)

I always call people Love..

If I see a customer waiting to be served and I have my arms full carrying bread, I'll acknowledge that I've seen them waiting by giving a little smile and saying "I'll not be a minute Love" to which 99.9% of the time I get "alright Love" as a reply.. The other 0.01% just say "Ok" and smile back at me..

In the 13 years I've been doing my job, I've never had anyone take offence by it..

I always call people Love..

If I see a customer waiting to be served and I have my arms full carrying bread, I'll acknowledge that I've seen them waiting by giving a little smile and saying "I'll not be a minute Love" to which 99.9% of the time I get "alright Love" as a reply.. The other 0.01% just say "Ok" and smile back at me..

In the 13 years I've been doing my job, I've never had anyone take offence by it..

Im sure youve served me sarah.:)

But that's not comparable to the scenario in your OP (you sound like Adrian Mole!). The chap was not rude, he was helpful. He just happened to offend your sense of decorum because you're 'old school'.

With shops like Halfords, DIY stores and the like, most people just want someone who knows their stuff and can point you in the right direction. What infuriates me is going to a DIY store or somewhere like Decathlon, for example, when the staff don't know anything about their products.

Which I found rude! ;)

Archived