Young shop assistants calling you mate or pal! Gets my back up!

'****' is a pet name too, it's mostly used on the other side of the penines though, so I'd still be offended by his filthy Manc talk if I were you ;)

have a peep at post 46, the way in which a simple opinion post was turned from a simple comment into a sly '****' dig, thats why i found him offensive

have a peep at post 46, the way in which a simple opinion post was turned from a simple comment into a sly '****' dig, thats why i found him offensive

Don't take offence carly, none was intended. Seriously. :)

I was in a well known motoring parts and cycling retailer today picking up a bike that I had reserved online for my sons birthday.

The young fella that served me (about 16 years of age) greeted me with the words "can I help you Pal?"

I let it go and continued to explain why I was gracing the store with my presence.

The young fella asked me what I would use to lubricate the chain on the bike.

I said WD40. Silly me!

The kid gave me a roll eye, and said "No mate, WD40 is water based, you need to use this, It's half price cause you has bought a bike".

No problem. The lad was trying to upsell me as he has been instructed by his manager.

The thing that got to me was his use of pal and mate!

I bring this up because when I was a lad back in the early nineties, I had a salesman job at DC Cook.

I got a phone call from a punter and I called him mate. The "punter" blasted down the phone "I am a customer, I am sir, I am not your mate. My name is Derek Cook, clear your desk"!!

Taught me a lesson! I am no prude but I do think a modicum of respect wouldn't go amiss with the youth of today.

It's only a shop worker! It's not exactly a career is it? I think you need to give there people a break! When your working for a large sales company or a bank It's more important to call people sir ect. but when you are selling WD40 I think it's a different matter.

I have to say I dislike being called sir by people in in banks and so on. It just makes me uncomfortable. Similarly I don't like it when people presume that its fine to use your first name, its just over familiar. Just call me mate or pal or something and thats just fine

Good point. Lets hope he gets the call, and that any other spotty faced, **** sure pratt gets the call too.

Unless the boss has no manners or respect for paying customers either!

If it was my shop I wouldn't serve a pompus prat like you!:rant:

Archived