Where to go out in Newcastle??

I know this is SHEFFIELD forum, but seen as I dont fancy registering on Newcastle forum (if it exists) I thought I would post this question to my fellow Sheffielders!

A group of us are going to Newcastle next month for a birthday, and would welcome any suggestions of the place to stay, go out ect?

We are all female and aged 21-26.

Have heard people talk about Whitley Bay, but I have also seen online a few clubs around Quayside, so I am not sure where to book the rooms.

I would welcome comments/ suggestions as to the best places to go out.

Thanks

Depends what you want. The Gate, The Bigg Market and The Quayside are the 3 main drinking areas in the city.

I would start at The Gate, then there are some good pubs/bars around the train station, then make your way through the Bigg Market (it has to be done) then on to the Quayside which is more upmarket and a little more pricey.

Whitley Bay is a dump these days. It's basically full of hen and stag parties that couldn't be arsed to go abroad and charvers (north east terminology for chav).

Titley Bay is only a metro ride from Newcastle mind, so go if you want a look, but it isn't a patch on Newcastle for a night out.

Enjoy.

Whitley Bay is a good night out but is very chavtasic, its quite like west street but on a much smaller local scale. Its good for afternoon drinking as you can go to the beach and have a few in the beachside bars. If you want to go to the beach go to Tynemouth which is much nicer and the beaches are lovely.

Your best to stick to the centre of newcastle, there are 4 main city centre areas the quayside, near the station, the big market and then 'the gate' which is like an indoor pub/club venue with good bars and 'Mood' & Tiger Tiger. Good for if its raining but can get very busy.

Best avoid the big market unless you like fighting as it can get pretty rough later on but has some of the more lively venues but its worth a quick trip down just to mingle with the locals. The Quayside has a good range of bars all the way along and 'Sea' nightclub which is quite small but has a good dancefloor and is very popular. Have a look at Digital nightclub which has the popular dj's, very pricey though and also the World Headquaters which is tucked away but is a delight.

If your looking for somewhere to stay have a look at Jesmond which is a Suberb and is much like eccelsal road, loads of bars and b&b's very posh but the happy hours are awesome. The quayside has some of the bigger hotels and the nicest ones if you have the cash, there are loads of apartments to hire which work out similar in price to hotel rooms if there are a few of you.

I lived up there for 5 years so know most places, send me a pm nearer the time and i'll point you towards some of the better bars.

• 3 weeks later...
I'd echo that about Jesmond. If you are stying for a few nights then a more chilled out night in Jesmond would be very enjoyable too.

Thanks for the info guys. Yeah a work collegue suggested we get the hotel at Jesomnd, as its close enough to centre, but cheaper rooms. He said it is similar to Ecclesall Road, so ideal for the next day.

We will be booking rooms this weekend (a bit lastminute).

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived