Dusty Concerts in Sheffield

Chris M

• 5 months later...
Anyone out there ever seen Dusty Springfield in one of

her rare appearances in Sheffield.

City Hall or Gaumont.

Cheers Chris

Yes. She appeared at the gaumont around 1964 as Dusty Springfield. In 62 with brother Tom as The Springfields and in 1960 as part of an all 'sister' trio who's name escapes me at the moment

Just remembered the 'sisters' group name it was 'The Lana Sisters'. Sorry about that but it was 40 odd years ago!

Dusty was a perfectionist and insisted on rehearsing all her numbers unlike most artists who did one number for a sound check and then off. She insisted on a certain coloured gell (coloured filter)for her 'face spotlight' which we didn't carry in stock. She demanded some be found and some was borrowed from the Playhouse. (which later became the Crucible) Put on a great performance though!

You should listen to "Sounds of The Sixties" on radio 2, each saturday morning from 8 till 10, as the host, Brian Matthew, loves Dusty (as do I) and plays a number from her nearly every week.

They are often quite obscure. In recent weeks he has played her version of "Windmills of your Mind" from the brilliant "Dusty in Memphis" album, and the Jaques Brel song "Ne me quitte pas" sung beautifully in French.

Well worth tuning in!!

Anyone out there ever seen Dusty Springfield in one of

her rare appearances in Sheffield.

City Hall or Gaumont.

Cheers Chris

I never saw her live but fancied her like crazy in her early days.

Pity that she was batting for the other side! Still she had a wonderful voice and was a credit to the British music scene. Rest in peace lusty Dusty.

• 13 years later...

Hi,  I saw Dusty Springfield at Sheffield City Hall, ‘support’ band that night, 1964,  where, If memory serves, The Searchers, who I saw again many decades later in Australia

I went with a Stocksbridge buddy, Brian’.

Dusty was sensational, great voice, great dress, her then ‘Beehive’ style hair do about 7 inches atop her head.......

........she was Brilliant, and, I will never forget this, my pal and I were on the Cheap Seats on the Platform behind the stage,, Bless and R.I.P Dusty, she turned right around and smiled and waved at us ......OK, about 20 others behind did likewise and smiled back to her too!

...but Brian an I were convinced her smile and wave were .... for US! 

Wonderful Vocalist, Often referred to her as the Best white female  Blues Singer ever.

i still listen to some of her tracks to this day.......

‘Son of a Preacher Man’ my particular favourite!!

• 3 weeks later...

Reference the above, I can now rectify the Year that Dusty Headlined at Sheffield City Hall.

it was 1963, Saturday, November 18th to be perfectly accurate

Support bands were Brian Poole and the Tremoloes, The Searchers, Freddie & The Dreamers & Local lads Dave Berry & The Cruisers