Bloody Sunday enquiry

I do think the enquiry does sum it up nicely, leaving no ambiguity to the actions of the soldiers, the actions of the IRA and the actions of the civilians. I think that all sides need to accept the reports findings, this is what the PM read in the house of commons today.

I am afraid the excuse of only being human just doesn't wash.

I'll probably get pinned to the wall on this but...for once in a long time I'm actually pleased with the governments announcement.

We made a mistake and we've put our hands in the air, how rare is that? I just hope those that pulled the trigger are not brought to book as scapegoats. The lads on the ground took orders...that's what they do. Their commanding officers are to blame. Their the one's that lost it IMO.

I'll probably get pinned to the wall on this but...for once in a long time I'm actually pleased with the governments announcement.

We made a mistake and we've put our hands in the air, how rare is that? I just hope those that pulled the trigger are not brought to book as scapegoats. The lads on the ground took orders...that's what they do. Their commanding officers are to blame. Their the one's that lost it IMO.

yes i agree after all the government let hundreds of IRA and unionist 'soldiers/terrorists' out of prison during the making of the peace process, so we should let these soldiers (who will be in there 60s now) live in peace however now the truth is out it wont take long for someone involved to write a book £££

They may have possibly held strong views and that does not make them guilty enough to be summarily killed. The dead were all unarmed and innocent civilians.
are you one hundred percent certain of that a known tactic of the i r a was to mix in with a crowd open fire on our troops then dissapear into the crowd ,should he have been hit his weapon was always picked up to be

returned to the i r a by some member of the crowd

now, shots fired, shots returned, person seen with weapon fired at by troops doesnt that sound about right no summary execution just self defence and firing toward armed mob member, thats more like the actual truth

the army laid downtear gas to disperse the mob and overlayed the gas with smoke to keep it at street level if they had wanted a confrontation surely they wouldnt have tried to break up the mob but would have rather let them carry on coming forward

are you one hundred percent certain of that a known tactic of the i r a was to mix in with a crowd open fire on our troops then dissapear into the crowd ,should he have been hit his weapon was always picked up to be

now, shots fired, shots returned, person seen with weapon fired at by troops doesnt that sound about right no summary execution just self defence and firing toward armed mob member, thats more like the actual truth

the army laid downtear gas to disperse the mob and overlayed the gas with smoke to keep it at street level if they had wanted a confrontation surely they wouldnt have tried to break up the mob but would have rather let them carry on coming forward

You are re-writing history depoix (btw, nice to see you back posting :thumbsup: ). See Post No 20 - in case you missed it.

Bloody Sunday was the British equivalent of the Sharpeville massacre.

The Saville Inquiry report is thorough and exonerates those killed by British troops. Despite the time and money spent on conducting this Inquiry, there is no time limit or price on truth and justice.

Given that policing powers have only recently been devolved to Stormont - the final act in bringing peace to Northern Ireland, let us hope that the Saville Inquiry will now bring closure for the families of those killed in Bloody Sunday.

The report is unequivocal - 'None of the casualties was posing a threat or doing anything that would justify their shooting'.

There is, I believe, reference in the report to the IRA having fired one shot that day in Derry. It missed and was fired after the army ha opened fire.

1..No Im not Im suggesting reasons why the soldiers retaliated

2.I dont understand this ,is it concerning being under fire your answer baffles me ,quite a few soldiers had been killed well before Bloody Sunday

3.Insults again very childish

4.read the posts I said nothing of the report

Same people picking on you from a previous thread i see noddy lol.

Archived