Bloody Sunday enquiry

It was a complicated civil war situation that needed the armed forces participation.

I disagree. Problems started, Wilson put in the troops (he was mugged), then hey presto you have British Troops fighting Irish people, Yanks supplying the shooters - job done.

I disagree. Problems started, Wilson put in the troops (he was mugged), then hey presto you have British Troops fighting Irish people, Yanks supplying the shooters - job done.

You do know that the troops went in at the request of the Catholics, to protect them from the Protestants?

You do know that the troops went in at the request of the Catholics, to protect them from the Protestants?

Yes, I do know that, I remember it well. They even brought out cups of tea and sticky buns, it was the B Specials that were throwing their weight about. The point that I was making was that to the outside world it became bully boy Brit versus brave freedom fighter, with Yanks in bars in Boston singing revolutionary songs, and passing the hat round for the magic Armalite.

P.S. don't believe that Gunner Curtis was the first soldier to die, that is balls, the first one was a lad from Crawley, but the Army covered it up as suicide.

I think you miss the point, I've never suggested the soldiers were murders. What I was suggesting is that you can't on the one hand state that N. Ireland was bound by the laws of the UK, and then on the other defend armed paratroops being used to police the local population.

It was a complicated civil war situation that needed the armed forces participation.

The army is there to protect the nation and its people if said people want to riot and its too much of a job for the police the army goes in,don't forget back in the 70's before Thatcher gave them the freedom to run rough shod over the miners etc the police were not by any means the power they are today.

As has already been stated, it was a common tactic for IRA gunmen to use demonstrators/rioters to set up gun & bomb attacks on soldiers & police.

Sadly it is part of guerrilla warfare to abuse civilian status. We have a moral question then; is it okay for army soldiers to shoot back in those situations? This is one reason i hope that a "justice" isn't sought by some of the Northern Irish families. I wouldn't like to judge the soldiers actions myself in those situations.

The ugly thing we have to deal with about Bloody Sunday is that some of the dead were only civilian. They were crawling away injured, or trying to save family and friends when they were shot. That is a little easier to call an ugly act.

The army is there to protect the nation and its people if said people want to riot and its too much of a job for the police the army goes in,don't forget back in the 70's before Thatcher gave them the freedom to run rough shod over the miners etc the police were not by any means the power they are today.

You are falling into the same trap that Harold Wilson fell into.

Yes, I do know that, I remember it well. They even brought out cups of tea and sticky buns, it was the B Specials that were throwing their weight about. The point that I was making was that to the outside world it became bully boy Brit versus brave freedom fighter, with Yanks in bars in Boston singing revolutionary songs, and passing the hat round for the magic Armalite.

I disagree, in my opinion all the partition of Ireland did was move the conflict from the whole of Ireland to N. Ireland. There had been peaks and troughs in the conflict, but the issues that caused it were never removed, and as such it was always going to re-ignite at some time.

Due to historical and political reasons, the Irish expats in the USA were always going to be able gain the sympathy of the population.

I disagree, in my opinion all the partition of Ireland did was move the conflict from the whole of Ireland to N. Ireland. There had been peaks and troughs in the conflict, but the issues that caused it were never removed, and as such it was always going to re-ignite at some time.

Due to historical and political reasons, the Irish expats in the USA were always going to be able gain the sympathy of the population.

The matter of partition is, I think, a different/wider subject, I was referring to the position as at 1968.

The matter of partition is, I think, a different/wider subject, I was referring to the position as at 1968.

It's wrong to look at 1968 in isolation, the events that happened in N Ireland in the late 1960s were just another part in the chain of events.

It's wrong to look at 1968 in isolation, the events that happened in N Ireland in the late 1960s were just another part in the chain of events.

No British troops from 1920 to 1968, then British Troops enter and the rest follows - coincidence ?

Archived