Driving a Robin Reliant on a cbt.

Yes thats one factor could have 3LTR trike but depends on wieght even a full bike lisence over a certain wieght wouldnt cover a trike there again would have to be one heavy dude lol .Supprising how many customers used to call it a robin reliant but never regal reliant or rialto reliant etc oh well mine was a vauxhall mini rialto robin reliant then :suspect:

Yes I have been considering the weight, apparently a robin falls under the weight restriction for needing a full license.

But then I'd have to consider the weight difference after ripping out the seating and converting it into a mobile home.

I've already seen a picture where one has been converted.

http://www.motorhomeplanet.co.uk/sitebkgd/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/nissan-micra-motorhome.jpg

Yes I have been considering the weight, apparently a robin falls under the weight restriction for needing a full license.

But then I'd have to consider the weight difference after ripping out the seating and converting it into a mobile home.

I've already seen a picture where one has been converted.

http://www.motorhomeplanet.co.uk/sitebkgd/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/nissan-micra-motorhome.jpg

Not got a clue on changing one into a motor home lol.made a limo/pickup/trailer from one stuck bigger motors in them but thats sumat have never come across or ever been asked.Think i would start with removing roof or part of it and taking roof of a scrapper to convert it would need a bit of reinforcment maybe.Depends if you wanted it to be permanent or on a lift.Happy fibre glassing :hihi:

And no i dont work on them nowadays:roll:

That photo was took in Ramsgate at least 15 years ago, probably more.

There's still plenty of Robins knocking about but I don't know the going price. According to one website, a Robin Mk 3 should return 60-100mpg, all without the "advantage" of fancy electronics; insurance should be cheap too. You won't be first away from the lights, but you'll be last to visit the petrol station, although negotiating those "speed cushions" will present a challenge. There's also a royal endorsement, apparently Princess Anne owned one.

In my boyhood, the ownership of even a motorbike and sidecar was considered a luxury. One of my neighbours had a red 1954 Reliant Regal Mk1 soft-top for years.

In 1967, a friend and I set out down the A1 out to Pride and Clarkes (the big m/cycle dealers in London) in his Heinkel Kabine 200cc

http://microcarmuseum.com/tour/heinkel.html

to part-exchange it for an AJS 650 CSR. We managed to get as far as Finchley when the clutch packed up, we left it in a safe place and returned on the train. Pride and Clarke really didn't want it but as a gesture of good will they reluctantly agreed to tow it in and allowed £25 against the bike which was fetched later.

Here is the reply I got from the DVLA today :

Thank you for your email received on 17/6/10. Your email reference number is 388570.

I hope the following will clarify your enquiry.

Provisional drivers of three wheeled vehicles used on the road must have the appropriate entitlement. Generally the driver should hold either category B or B1.

Category B covers motor vehicles with a MAM not exceeding 3500kg.

When driving a three wheeled vehicle provisionally the driver will be subject to the provisional licence conditions which are shown on the back of the driving licence, ie must display 'L' plates (which are clearly visible from the front and back of the vehicle), be supervised by a qualified driver and must not tow a trailer.

However, there is one exemption from the need for learner drivers of certain three or four wheeled vehicles to be supervised by a qualified driver when driving a vehicle in category B/B1 constructed to carry only one person and not adapted to carry more than one person.

So - I can have a trike, of ANY cc, as long as its showing L plates, only has one seat and weighs less than 3500kg :D

Here is the reply I got from the DVLA today :

Thank you for your email received on 17/6/10. Your email reference number is 388570.

I hope the following will clarify your enquiry.

Provisional drivers of three wheeled vehicles used on the road must have the appropriate entitlement. Generally the driver should hold either category B or B1.

Category B covers motor vehicles with a MAM not exceeding 3500kg.

When driving a three wheeled vehicle provisionally the driver will be subject to the provisional licence conditions which are shown on the back of the driving licence, ie must display 'L' plates (which are clearly visible from the front and back of the vehicle), be supervised by a qualified driver and must not tow a trailer.

However, there is one exemption from the need for learner drivers of certain three or four wheeled vehicles to be supervised by a qualified driver when driving a vehicle in category B/B1 constructed to carry only one person and not adapted to carry more than one person.

So - I can have a trike, of ANY cc, as long as its showing L plates, only has one seat and weighs less than 3500kg :D

"constructed" to carry one person is different to 'adapted' to carry one person though, isn't it?

"constructed" to carry one person is different to 'adapted' to carry one person though, isn't it?

Its not hard to change a trike or bike to a single seat, I doubt anyone would know if it had been originally built that way...and as long as it only has one seat, I doubt it would matter...

Archived