A question regarding vitamin b12.

Hi forum,

Just a quick question. I plan to live of only fruit and vegetables for 1 whole month.

I have heard that the only vitamin which I wouldnt be intaking on such a diet is Vitamin B12, is this true? is there any other vitamins that I cant get from fruit and veg diet, and is vitamin b12 important.

Is B12 important? You'll die a slow, painful and very nasty death without it, but it's a slow enough death that it probably won't happen in one month.

Can you get it from fruit and vegetables? I don't know, but I suspect not; however Vitamin B complex tablets cost less than a pound for a month's supply.

Hi forum,

Just a quick question. I plan to live of only fruit and vegetables for 1 whole month.

I have heard that the only vitamin which I wouldnt be intaking on such a diet is Vitamin B12, is this true? is there any other vitamins that I cant get from fruit and veg diet, and is vitamin b12 important.

May I ask why you are planning to do this?

Is B12 important? You'll die a slow, painful and very nasty death without it, but it's a slow enough death that it probably won't happen in one month.

Can you get it from fruit and vegetables? I don't know, but I suspect not; however Vitamin B complex tablets cost less than a pound for a month's supply.

Sorry if this question comes across arrogant, but I've never purchased vitamins, is there a pack I can buy which covers literally all of them so I dont need to worry about which ones I maybe missing.

May I ask why you are planning to do this?

Its just something I want to test myself on, I always said I will do it after I quit smoking, which I've done.

Do tell me that your fruit and vegetables is going to include potatoes and that you're going to cook a proportion of your diet.

Depending on the fruit and veg you choose, and depending on whether or not you cook them so you can actually absorb most of them, there could be a lot of nutrients that you'll be missing out on, from calcium and iron, to a number of the B vitamins.

B12 will be no problem over a month.

If you're still worried about it then it's easy to buy some B12 supplements or do what many vegans do and use marmite.

I did something similar recently by living mainly on fruit for 2 weeks- it's vastly improved my diet which now contains considerably less bread/potatoes etc than it used to and has a lot more fruit/salads/veg.

Good luck :)

Do tell me that your fruit and vegetables is going to include potatoes and that you're going to cook a proportion of your diet.

As far as cooking goes I just thought maybe once a week boiled potatoes and carrots.

B12 will be no problem over a month.

If you're still worried about it then it's easy to buy some B12 supplements or do what many vegans do and use marmite.

I did something similar recently by living mainly on fruit for 2 weeks- it's vastly improved my diet which now contains considerably less bread/potatoes etc than it used to and has a lot more fruit/salads/veg.

Good luck :)

When you did the 2 weeks on fruit, did you take marmite how much should I take if any. Did you do research into it prior to starting or just did it anyway, besides Vitamin B12 is there anything I need to consider.

When you did the 2 weeks on fruit, did you take marmite how much should I take if any. Did you do research into it prior to starting or just did it anyway, besides Vitamin B12 is there anything I need to consider.

Marmite is a source of B12 not derived from animal sources, which is why vegans use it: it's useful if you're on a long term diet deficient in B12.

However, if you're only doing this for a month, then you'll be in no danger of B12 deficiency.

And please note that I said I'd done two weeks on mainly fruit :)

Archived