Get job seekers allowance while on holiday?

If it's in the UK, then the JC will have no problems at all. There's always a chance they'll request you to attend at a jobcentre where you're going, but you're allowed 2 weeks off a year.

What about those with pre-booked holidays? Some people book their summer holidays and save up for months before hand. If they lose their job, should they really lose that holiday (which has already been paid for, and 99% of the time would provide no refund for a cancellation) just to satisfy everyone else?

well it would be a week when i dont have to sign on and as iv got a laptop (already pre-paid for) then I can apply online for jobs.. it would be a train fair away

im due monday so am going to ask.. the worst they can do is say no..

what ****** me off is this:

i just paid for my unemployed son to come with us on our family holiday.

it was abroad, so he informed the job centre, who then told him he would have to sign off for a week.fine i can live with that.

what annoys the hell out of me is that over a week after returning they have not given him a date to sign back on AND the council stopped his housing benefit (even though he didnt earn anything that week!!)

thats what you get for being honest:huh:

I agree you get nothing for being honest in this country.....BUT the understanding of getting job seekers allowance is that you are activly seeking work & available should it be offered & come your way. If you are in a foreign country how can your son meet this criteria?

so god forbid any of you lost your job and found yourself claiming job seekers, you would then straight away,the minute you claim, give up your car, phone, tv, internet, and that long ago paid for holiday! (most people in work book holidays a year or so in advance).

If it's in the UK, then the JC will have no problems at all. There's always a chance they'll request you to attend at a jobcentre where you're going, but you're allowed 2 weeks off a year.

I'm sorry to say it but you are not automatically entitled to 2 weeks off a year. The rules clearly state you have to be actively seeking and be available for work and no exceptions.

I left the forces after 27 years and was advised to contact the Jobcentre just to keep my NI contributions going by signing on. In a very alien environment I suffered a very poor experience at the Jobcentre where I was ordered to look for jobs on the Jobpoint machines before my interview and then accused of trying to claim Jobseekers allowance when I wasn't entitled to it. (I had an immediate forces pension and knowing the rules hadn't even tried to claim it) I then said that I was taking my wife on a well earned holiday of a lifetime to the Caribbean in a few weeks. I had been told that I had to sign on weekly which at the time wasn't going to be a problem to me as I was determined to take a few months off after a lifetime of being away from home. I was then told that as I was leaving the country I would have to 'sign off' and sign back on again when I got back. I never bothered going back after that and have been gainfully employed ever since. Ironically I ended up leading teams of engineers putting in new computers in DWP workplaces including Jobcentres :hihi:

so god forbid any of you lost your job and found yourself claiming job seekers, you would then straight away,the minute you claim, give up your car, phone, tv, internet, and that long ago paid for holiday! (most people in work book holidays a year or so in advance).

Nobody has suggested any such thing.

What we might do, is not expect to claim JSA whilst taking that holiday, since we'll not be seeking a job...

I don't know anyone who books a year in advance btw, maybe a topic in it's own right though.

• 2 years later...

we could abolish all benefits ie jsa ,child allowance and pensions and save tax payers lots of money.To create jobs we could abolish the minimum wage give people say 6 pence an hour and make live on the premesis or if there lucky in hovel and then we would be competitive with India and China.The wealty elite of course could still go on holiday the rest would be stuck with their grim existence.Now with modern technology you boss could watch on camera to make sure the overseer was keeping you hard at it and making him plenty more money while he's away.Of course you still couldn't guarantee there would be no jealousy but at least the majority would be in the mire together.

Archived