Get job seekers allowance while on holiday?

Me too! A holiday should be a luxury not a right

General opinion nowadays is that a holiday should be a right, not a luxury. It's considered essential to mental health and general wellbeing.

Assuming that this opinion is correct, I'd prefer that jobseekers get a holiday so that they remain in good general wellbeing and therefore more likely to find work.

Its how they finance a holiday that is the strange thing. how do you afford a holiday if your not in work?

From any savings they have. Or it could be paid for by parents or grandparents.

Of course the underlying point of this thread is the tired old argument that people on benefit are scroungers.

Personally I must more concerned about millionnaire MPs taking thousands and thousands of pounds a year from the tax payer.

i mean what do they need a break from? lying in bed all day ohh the poor sods!

The unemployed and the lazy are not the same thing. They may need a break from the stress of fruitless job searching. Maybe they have a partner that works, or savings, or they can be extremely frugal for the grand prize of a small break. There are a million contexts for someone on JSA taking a holiday.

i mean what do they need a break from? lying in bed all day ohh the poor sods!

Nothing like a good generalisation to wind people up. Your point may be true for people who choose not to work but for many others they put more hours in than working full time when looking for a job. I know when I was on JSA I was working harder than I did when I got a job!

Im not an high horse i just dont see why i should have to pay taxes to pay for someone elses holiday wether that holiday cost £10 or £10,000 the fact still remains wouldnt the holiday money be better spent on utility bills and groceries rather than holiday i mean what do they need a break from? lying in bed all day ohh the poor sods!

What rubbish you speak, its thier choice to spend thier money as they see fit.

Personally I must more concerned about millionnaire MPs taking thousands and thousands of pounds a year from the tax payer.

David laws claimed £42,000 he wasn't entitled to and got his wrist slapped.

A women who drew £40,000 benefit she wasn't entitled to because she failed to declare she had got married got 18 months jail.

As you say there are two kinds of scroungers.

Here's a thought.

We're in the EU. Why can't an unemployed person go to, say, France trying to find work? Surely the JC can't have any argument with that? Or is it yet another way in which the JC actively conspire against people getting off the unemployment list?

After all, it's not as if a few million haven't come over here 'looking for work'.

When I was unemployed I always went away for a holiday. It's all about budgeting. I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't do drugs and I don't eat takeaways. Hence I'd got money to spare. I also found it useful to buy a couple of extra tins or dried foods in the months and weeks running up to my hols so I'd have something to come back too.

If somebody who is working full time can't afford a holiday once a year then there's something seriously wrong with their life and lifestyle.

And yes I did keep up my job search whilst holidaying, I love to have a permanent job near the seaside. With there being about 750 job centres in the UK you have to be somewhere pretty remote not to find one.

Job centres are easier to find than jobs

If my daughter was on JSA she would be claiming because she has paid into the system.....She is in Sheffield.....I am in Bournemouth.

She could come down to me, at the seaside, for a holiday but could still be looking for work on the net and we do have phones here and could get back if someone offered her an interview.

All she would need to pay would be train/coach/petrol to get here.

A holiday does not always mean swanning off to some foreign shores with loads of bars and booze.

A holiday is just a break from normal routine.

Has anyone considered that the person who is on JSA potentially hasn't paid for the holiday and so there's nothing to afford?

Admittedly I'm not on JSA, but I still couldn't afford to pay for a holiday. My parents pay for the whole family to go somewhere in this country in a large house for a week once a year and so I'm invited to that. Cost wise all it costs is a £25 contribution to the food kitty for the week and a tank of petrol to get there.

Or as someone else said, camping or staying with a friend would also count as a holiday, neither of which cost lots of money.

Archived