Get job seekers allowance while on holiday?

When I was unemployed I always went away for a holiday. It's all about budgeting. I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't do drugs and I don't eat takeaways. Hence I'd got money to spare. I also found it useful to buy a couple of extra tins or dried foods in the months and weeks running up to my hols so I'd have something to come back too.

If somebody who is working full time can't afford a holiday once a year then there's something seriously wrong with their life and lifestyle.

And yes I did keep up my job search whilst holidaying, I love to have a permanent job near the seaside. With there being about 750 job centres in the UK you have to be somewhere pretty remote not to find one.

Job centres are easier to find than jobs

I am working full time and can't afford a holiday and there is certainly nothing 'wrong with my lifestyle'. My OH is unemployed and we have 3 children - 2 of whom are at University.

How dare you insinuate that those of us who work very hard to make ends meet and to put food on the table live irresponsibly and have lifestyle issues.:rant:

I think it's more to do with the definition of "a Holiday"

Some maybe who have grown up with a foreign holiday every year find the concept of a camping trip in England not a holiday at all.

How much is a holiday if you find someone willing to lend you a tent? Go somewhere where walking and other activities are plentiful and FREE.

"A Holiday" can be something that's not pre-packaged by Thomas Cook...

I am working full time and can't afford a holiday and there is certainly nothing 'wrong with my lifestyle'. My OH is unemployed and we have 3 children - 2 of whom are at University.

How dare you insinuate that those of us who work very hard to make ends meet and to put food on the table live irresponsibly and have lifestyle issues.:rant:

Agree Daven.

My husband is medically retired from the fire brigade. He receives a pension from them and I work.

We don't drink or smoke, own a car or live the wonderful lifestyle of Steptoad.

Steptoad - I'm glad you're managing live so well on taxpayers money. Enjoy your holidays and self righteous life.

I think it's more to do with the definition of "a Holiday"

Some maybe who have grown up with a foreign holiday every year find the concept of a camping trip in England not a holiday at all.

How much is a holiday if you find someone willing to lend you a tent? Go somewhere where walking and other activities are plentiful and FREE.

"A Holiday" can be something that's not pre-packaged by Thomas Cook...

Quite. And I think you'll find that most people wishing they could afford a holiday despite working, aren't aiming for a foreign holiday.

I was looking for B&Bs in Scarborough yesterday - one little family run B&B would cost us £469 for 7 days £335 for 5 days. And that's for just me and the two children, hubby knows how much we want a holiday and said it would be cheaper for him to stay behind.

Caravans on the Yorkshire coast are at least £400+ a week in the summer, some even go up to £700!!

But I also believe a holiday is not a right, it's is a luxury. And if that luxury can be afforded when you're receiving state benefits then state benefit is too generous.

Quite. And I think you'll find that most people wishing they could afford a holiday despite working, aren't aiming for a foreign holiday.

I was looking for B&Bs in Scarborough yesterday - one little family run B&B would cost us £469 for 7 days £335 for 5 days. And that's for just me and the two children, hubby knows how much we want a holiday and said it would be cheaper for him to stay behind.

Caravans on the Yorkshire coast are at least £400+ a week in the summer, some even go up to £700!!

But I also believe a holiday is not a right, it's is a luxury. And if that luxury can be afforded when you're receiving state benefits then state benefit is too generous.

caravans in the uk are a con in the summer....

we are going to Las Vegas in september and its cost £700 each including

the hotel and insurance for 10 nights through ebookers and flying US airways... ;)

I'm on high rate DLA and my OH is working, we can't afford to go away for more than a few weekends camping for the next few years. When I was on my own and on basic incapacity I could barely make it through the week, let alone afford a decent holiday.

I'd love to know how it's done, just for curiosity's sake.

I was looking for B&Bs in Scarborough yesterday - one little family run B&B would cost us £469 for 7 days £335 for 5 days. And that's for just me and the two children

I'm amazed that any B&B in Scarborough could survive if it charges rates as ridiculously high as that. We never pay anywhere near £100pp for a week.

It's quite a different scenario from a single person saving up and taking themselves away. I suppose that if comparisons are going to be made, "I work and I can't afford to go away" compared to someone on benefits who can, then it needs to be in equivalent scenarios.

Your lifestyle Daven involves having 3 children and a partner who isn't working. It's no a lifestyle issue, it's just the lifestyle you have. Someone who is single and works is going to find it much easier to go on holiday than you.

Archived