When a bloke can't admire a woman

You can't see why? He was the convenor of (presumably) an important committee and he's ogling the women in the room? He should have been paying attention to the task at hand, not making personal comments. And what's all that about 'putting out a wee word for her'? Stupid man!

I agree, ruby. He was commenting on her in an inappropriate way. One has the impression that he could as easily have been saying, look at that whale in the second row! And, my God, her roots are showing through the bleach!

It's the whole, 'judging a woman by her appearance' thing. And yes, it might (ok of course it does) go on, but one would like to believe that MPs/MEPs are somehow wise enough to not do it with the microphone on. Not every woman wants to be valued by her physical size or by the colour of her skin or the exoticness of her appearance.

I really don't see why this MSP has had to quit his committee post:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/10332299.stm

I do not see how it could be offensive, he was positively complimentary. It's coming to something when a bloke cannot admire and comment on the beauty of a woman. OK, he was at work, probably a 30 second time out. We all do it, see an attractive member of the opposite sex, maybe comment to a mate. Don't you lasses give us the sexist thing, you know you do it too :D

--

what about the mingers, there people to:hihi:

I agree, ruby. He was commenting on her in an inappropriate way. One has the impression that he could as easily have been saying, look at that whale in the second row! And, my God, her roots are showing through the bleach!

It's the whole, 'judging a woman by her appearance' thing. And yes, it might (ok of course it does) go on, but one would like to believe that MPs/MEPs are somehow wise enough to not do it with the microphone on. Not every woman wants to be valued by her physical size or by the colour of her skin or the exoticness of her appearance.

lol he wouldn't even have noticed her if she'd not been 'attractive' 'dusky' and looked like a Gaugin portrait, I do believe. :D It's such a stupid, sexist comment to make. You might expect it from one of the reporters, say, but the convenor of the committee? I'd expect him to display more commonsense and savoir faire . He obviously just wasn't paying attention to his work. Good riddance, we're entitled to expect better from people in public office.

Of course they do! I long for the time when you could go to work and slap a woman on the behind and make a risque comment :D

You can't see why? He was the convenor of (presumably) an important committee and he's ogling the women in the room? He should have been paying attention to the task at hand, not making personal comments. And what's all that about 'putting out a wee word for her'? Stupid man!

I reckon that he'd have 'gotten away with it' if he'd just stuck to 'she's attractive' as people find that more acceptable than someone making racial comments.

He hasn't resigned from his job.

Just resigned from this particular committee.

He didn't simply say 'shes fit' - he was heard to say:

"There's a very attractive girl in the second row, dark . . . and dusky. We'll maybe put a wee word out for her." Mr McAveety went on: "She's very attractive looking, nice, very nice, very slim," before adding: "The heat's getting to me." The MSP also said: "She looks kinda . . . she's got that Filipino look. You know . . . the kind you'd see in a Gauguin painting. There's a wee bit of culture."

Archived