When a bloke can't admire a woman

I really don't see why this MSP has had to quit his committee post:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/10332299.stm

I do not see how it could be offensive, he was positively complimentary. It's coming to something when a bloke cannot admire and comment on the beauty of a woman. OK, he was at work, probably a 30 second time out. We all do it, see an attractive member of the opposite sex, maybe comment to a mate. Don't you lasses give us the sexist thing, you know you do it too :D

--

It's been reported that target of the compliments was a 15 years old girl working in the parliament on work experience. Does this change anything? If a politician was making suggestive remarks about your daughter whilst she was on work experience, would you feel comfortable?

I would hope that he would be embarassed about that if it's true, but misjudging someone's age is an easy mistake to make.

I think the simple rule is "you can admire, but you don't need to comment"

That's until the thought police are invented, and then several of us will end up behind bars!:hihi:

Good heavens, if I'd been told by someone that I was being admired I wouldn't have complained - it's not as if he went into sexual detail

Personally, I used to enjoy a bit of mild sexual harrassment every now and again!

Personally, I used to enjoy a bit of mild sexual harrassment every now and again!

Yes but sexual harrassment in the workplace can be a real pain. Especially if you are self employed as you have to do it yourself! :hihi:

It's been reported that target of the compliments was a 15 years old girl working in the parliament on work experience. Does this change anything? If a politician was making suggestive remarks about your daughter whilst she was on work experience, would you feel comfortable?

Had it been my 15 year old daughter then I would have made such a big fuss that he would have resigned. I would have done exactly the same if he had been anyone in obvious authority such as her teacher or a policeman. I would, to put it simply, have hounded him out of his job.

If you enjoyed it, it certainly wasn't harassment, it was just acceptable banter between colleagues.

The problem comes when some men are too thick to realise that their jokes, comments, innuendos and patting, stroking or grabbing paws are not welcomed by some women.

Had it been my 15 year old daughter then I would have made such a big fuss that he would have resigned. I would have done exactly the same if he had been anyone in obvious authority such as her teacher or a policeman. I would, to put it simply, have hounded him out of his job.

It does change the situation doesn't it?

I you enjoyed it, it certainly wasn't harassment, it was just acceptable banter between colleagues.

The problem comes when some men are too thick to realise that their jokes, comments, innuendos and patting, stroking or grabbing paws are not welcomed by some women.

You can give me a good pawing any day of the week duck. ;)

Archived