Discussion at work today..Englishness

I agree with that, it's an 'accident' of birth. I grew up in a dual nationality household too and have lived abroad, so have been influenced and shaped by several cultures.

In what way?

I ask because having been born a female I guess, which is an accident I assume, you have plumped for the username of Suffragette1.

A feminist title that suggests you are not interested in men's issues.

Blinker basically...

Is that correct?

In what way?

I ask because having been born a female I guess, which is an accident I assume, you have plumped for the username of Suffragette1.

Blinker basically...

Is that correct?

How strange that you should equate being feminist with being disinterested in men's issues.

You appear to make the colossally stupid assumption that a person can only be interested in one thing to the exclusion of others.

In what way?

Blinker basically...

Is that correct?

You make a lot of assumptions based on stereotypes.:roll:

All I am saying is that you can't help where you're born, I feel lucky to be born here but that's not the same as being proud of one's 'Englishness'.

How strange that you should equate being feminist with being disinterested in men's issues.

You appear to make the colossally stupid assumption that a person can only be interested in one thing to the exclusion of others.

can i ask when you last left your bedroom?

again please in english:roll:

Proud is a word generally used to refer the feeling of self satisfaction or self worth at having achieved something as a result of your own efforts.

Being born English is a matter of luck - you could just as easily have entered the world as a Uruguayan, a Somali or a Slovakian.

If you fell off a cliff and landed on a pile of matresses that just happened to be there, would you say you were proud of having survived, or lucky to have survived?

I suppose I would feel very very lucky. I suppose for your analogy, that means I'm very very lucky to be English. Yes I agree.

I suppose I would feel very very lucky. I suppose for your analogy, that means I'm very very lucky to be English. Yes I agree.

So you'd not use the term 'proud to English' then perhaps? Or would you?

Proud is a word generally used to refer the feeling of self satisfaction or self worth at having achieved something as a result of your own efforts.

Being born English is a matter of luck - you could just as easily have entered the world as a Uruguayan, a Somali or a Slovakian.

There's more to be proud of than just your nationality.

Archived