Discussion at work today..Englishness

Unless you can pretend to be an asylum seeker or something of that ilk, most desirable countries won't let you in unless you're the right age group and have something they need :(
I was just wondering if it was something specific like he needs medical treatment he's currently getting on the NHS and wouldn't be able to afford in another country. It didn't actually cross my mind it would be something basic like that!

Unless you can pretend to be an asylum seeker or something of that ilk, most desirable countries won't let you in unless you're the right age group and have something they need :(

You could always marry a national, ruby! What destination have you got in mind?:hihi:

I am proud to be English, not just for the sake of what passport I hold though. Being proud of your nationality is also to be proud of your history, heritage, culture, achievements of your people, your way of life etc. That's how it is for me, it's a personal thing, not a definition.

nail on head good effort

nail on head good effort

I don't understand this notion of being 'proud of history'. History is just something that you inherit, sometimes you agree with it, other times you're appalled. I can admire certain people throughout history but I wouldn't describe myself as being 'proud'.

My OH could claim dual nationality. Her mum is from New Zealand. We could conceivably go to live there

We get lots of opportunities to ex-pat, with my husband's line of work. However, I don't like the idea of uprooting the kids and disrupting their education. And I love Sheffield, it beats living in London.

Archived