Discussion at work today..Englishness

so all communities should live in the now? all communities should ignor the past, not learn from it, improve on it, celibrate it, build on it, id say taking pride in the past is away of motivating me and my children, to repeat them. understanding the mistakes of the past is away of not repeating those mistakes. not in my view taking pride in englishness would create stagnation.

maybe thats the problem today, stagnation due to a disconnection with who we are?

the above is why you can and should

I can't think of any other country I would have preferred to have been born in but that doesn't make me proud to be English. Just thankful to be born in a place where everyone is entitled to a good education and most people have all their basic needs met.

to celebrate somthing means your proud of it

You've written a new dictionary with entirely new definitions?

You cannot take pride in anything which was done by someone else. It's a contradiction in terms!

I really don't know why you make the effort HN.:hihi:

As for being thankful of your "Englishness" is another matter.

You've written a new dictionary with entirely new definitions?

You cannot take pride in anything which was done by someone else. It's a contradiction in terms!

No they have not,

proud

• adjective 1 (often proud of) feeling pride or satisfaction in one’s own or another’s achievements. 2 having or showing a high opinion of oneself. 3 conscious of one’s own dignity. 4 (often proud of) slightly projecting from a surface. 5 literary imposing; splendid.

— PHRASES do proud informal 1 cause to feel pleased or satisfied. 2 treat or entertain very well.

— DERIVATIVES proudly adverb.

— ORIGIN Old French prud ‘valiant’, from Latin prodesse ‘be of value’.

I really don't know why you make the effort HN.:hihi:

As for being thankful of your "Englishness" is another matter.

my bold

How does that work then ?

If your Englishness, means your proud of your country of birth (which it can}, then you can be thankful that your proud to be English !

What's your definition of Englishness ? Do you drink tea ?

Archived